Monday 19 May 2014

Whoops! I did it again....

Now here's the thing. I have been looking long and hard at the Jutland rules produced in the old Avalon Hill boardgame of the same name and have been pondering accordingly. I have also been revisiting Paul Hague's outstanding Sea Battles in Miniature and sure enough - a light bulb moment occurred and so I think that a fusion of the two may be viable option for my WW1 naval project.

Great idea I thought.

But wait a second - this idea was ringing some long distance bells - I wonder why?

Then it came to me -  Jutland Sea Battles in Miniature - was a blog post from way back in 2012 that I had forgotten about. Not only had I forgotten about but I had also forgotten about the great pile of notes I had made to go with it - notes that were quite close to being ready to turn into a draft set of rules!

No prizes then for guessing what is coming next....

12 comments:

Archduke Piccolo said...

I regard Paul Hague's book as THE classic for naval war games. One of those books - like Don Featherstone's Wargames Campaigns - I'd like to see back in print, so I could buy one.

MSFoy said...

Therapy?

Peter Douglas said...

David
I remembered your postings about such a marriage of rules. I was sure that was what you were going to use for this project!
Cheers
PD

Bluebear Jeff said...

Let's see . . . uh, maybe you are going to give us some rules for . . . 3D Chess?

Oops, I'm wrong again, eh?

I seem to make a habit of that.


-- Jeff

Paul O'G said...

Well you've saved yourself a bunch of work then!

David Crook said...

Hi Archduke,

I was lucky enough to pick up a copy courtesy of Ebay for a fairly modest price. There is a second edition but I have not seen this other than as a picture and a whimsical hope!

It is a true classic!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi MSFoy,

Knowing the head scratching that has gone into my previous naval endeavours I would consider this to be very likely....;-)

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Peter,

It was rather embarrassing to have forgotten about the first efforts - I put that down to work though!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Jeff,

3D chess with battleships might be an option....

....or maybe not!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Paul,

I certainly have - and I am quite relieved that did not start the whole thing again from scratch, thereby doubling up the effort!

All the best,

DC

Paul O'G said...

PS Tag you've been nominated!
http://tasmancave.blogspot.com.au/2014/05/liebstered.html

David Crook said...

Hi Paul,

Many thanks old chap!

All the best,

DC