Monday 11 January 2021

Russo Turkish Tinkering


The original model (of which there are two). Nothing wrong with it and yet.... 


....by adding to the sailing rig and applying some white trim to the hull it looks a whole lot more business like.

In advance of the resumption of ship building once my order from Warbases arrives I spent some time thinking about the models I want to build for the Russo Turkish half of the project. Whilst I have settled on the Turkish order of battle there was something nagging away at me in respect of the first two models I have built - the two river monitors of the Luft - u Celil class.

I built these two models with a reduced sailing rig but after further research decided that they need a little more in the way of spars. The option I have chosen reflects something of a compromise but given that the Turkish navy of the period seemed to be several steps behind the curve in respect of how ships were handled and maintained I certainly think it does not look out of place. I also took the opportunity to add a little detailing in respect of painting and so they now grace some rather fetching white trim - again this has been seen on a number of contemporary prints and pictures etc.


A closer look

Taking it all into consideration it has certainly perked the two models up rather nicely and I think they look far better in their current configuration. I will certainly incorporate the white trim on the next batch of models I build for this project.

4 comments:

Steve J. said...

The spar and trim does make a big difference to the look of the ships David, which is of course a good thing:)

David Crook said...

Hi Steve J,

I am looking forward to doing the same on some of the bigger Turkish ships when they are built - the white trim will really make them ‘pop’.

It only took half an hour which was time well spent for sure.

All the best,

DC

Aly Morrison said...

That works really well David...
It’s amazing what a couple of pieces of dowel and a bit of paint can achieve...

All the best. Aly

David Crook said...

Hi Aly,

I was really surprised at how it made the whole thing ‘pop’ but am glad I decided to do it. I am looking forward to tackling the other Turkish ships now that Warbases are back in the custom cutting groove.

First priority though is the ACW.

All the best,

DC