Tuesday 12 December 2023

One Year Ago….


One year ago - I was (and still am) dead chuffed to have gotten this into print!


The contents.

The year since the Portable Ironclads Wargame was published has flown by! I would like to thank everybody that has acquired a copy and hope that you have enjoyed the book and have even gotten some games in using the rules. If it served to push undecided gamers over the edge into gaming the period then even better!

The book is not without its faults and time and hindsight has a great way of making one look at something with a fresher pair of eyes. Thankfully the problems are not massive although I must confess that I have winced at some of the language used - there was much bloviation for sure! Some of the explanations in the rules could use a little tidying up as well. There is a lesson to be learned here in that what I had written occasionally did not tally with what I thought I had meant!

I had always planned to produce a follow up volume and that is still the plan although it has changed shape slightly. Rather than being a volume consisting merely of optional rules and updated ship specs I have taken the opportunity to rebadge it as a fully revised and expanded version. I thought long and hard about this but my reasoning is quite simple. It is easier to write it this way and will enable me to iron out any remaining wrinkles from the Portable Ironclads Wargame in a tidier manner and without having to go back and forth between volumes. In truth this revised and expanded edition is, upon reflection, what the original title should have been.

So what will be in the new book? Without going into too much detail I plan to include the following:

The rules - tidied up from the first edition and including all the planned optional rules - there will be explanations about these as well as I believe it is important to understand the whys and wherefores. This section will also include the use of a square grid as well as the original hexagonal version.

Expanded ship specifications for the ACW and including those for the War in the Pacific.

A couple of battle reports.

There is something else I am thinking about but have yet to finalise the details…..

A lot of the groundwork for this has been prepared so now the long and laborious task of getting numerous scribbled notes and partially drafted chapters into some kind of order can continue in earnest. There is also the small matter of some further models to be made and of testing a few bits and pieces.

To those that joined me on the first step in this endeavour I will say only this - many thanks and get ready for the next phase!



14 comments:

Steve J. said...

Hard to believe it's been a year already. Recent conversations with friends have often centred around when something happened, as it's hard to say was it 5 or 10 years ago. All we know is was it BC?: before covid!

Mark Cordone said...

Congratulations! It was, and is, a fine book!

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

David,

It’s amazing that it has been a year! It feels far less than that.

Congratulations on writing such a successful book.

All the best,

Bob

Paul O'G said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

David Crook said...

Hi Steve J,

Time certainly appears to fly by - especially as you get older! My daughter will be 28 on Friday - how the hell did that happen!?

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Mark,

Thank you kindly old chap - much appreciated! The Revised and Expanded version will be even better!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hello there Bob,

I was lucky in the choice of editor and publisher - he also writes pretty well!

Seriously though, it was a collaborative effort in many ways and I hope to continue this successful approach with the next edition.

All the best and thanks,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Paul,

Cheers old chap!

All the best,

DC

Michael said...

Thank you for the update, I have found the rules most interesting. Incidentally may I recommend "Warships and Naval Battles of the US Civil War" by Tony Gibbons and the collection "Battles and Leaders of the Civil War" I don't doubt that you probably have these in your library.

Aly Morrison said...

Gosh a year ago…
Time certainly flies… Which probably means we have all been very busy.

All the best. Aly

David Crook said...

Hi Michael,

Thank you kindly sir! You are quite right, I have them in my library - and very useful both have proven to be!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Aly,

You can say that again! I hope all is well with you and I will drop you a fuller line later.

All the best,

DC

Jim Jackaman said...

A valued addition to my wargaming bookshelf 😁👍

David Crook said...

Hi Jim,

Thank you kindly old chap! The revised and expanded edition will be even better!

All the best,

DC