Tuesday 26 March 2024

Flat Top and The Avalon Hill General


I had forgotten how much I used to enjoy reading the Avalon Hill General ‘back in the day’.

With grateful thanks to Ed who kindly pointed me to the correct edition of the Avalon Hill General magazine for details of the Flat Top Midway scenario. This was found on a very handy website called View From the Trenches and to anyone that is interested in any of the Avalon Hill catalogue of games this is an absolute goldmine of a resource!

As well as the scenario there is also an overview of the changes between the Battleline and Avalon Hill editions - including some rule tweaks - as well as a modest errata. Both of these are really helpful to me as I work out how to get the best out of the two games.

There are other useful bits and pieces contained therein for Flat Top including a scenario for Wake Island (I have seen this previously) as well as incorporating the British into the game, together with some background information on the Royal Navy. 

The funny thing with this current obsession of mine is that I do not in the least feel the need to get any models to game it with - having said that I have been casting an eye over Dauntless, the game that covers aerial combat in the Pacific or possibly Mustangs with models in 1:300th.

No ships though…. :-)



2 comments:

Jonathan Freitag said...

The General was a GREAT magazine! I subscribed to it for many years. I especially enjoyed all of the game replays and analysis to help in playing a game better.

David Crook said...

Hi Jonathan,

It really was a great magazine for sure! I never subscribed to it but tended to cherry pick editions as I needed them for specific games. I also rather liked the Boardgamer magazine as well. The website quoted is a fantastic resource for AH gamers.

All the best,

DC