Monday 29 April 2024

No Mans Land


All quiet on the Western Front - note the scarred landscape and the beginning of the ‘Green Fields Beyond’

One of the four gaming mats that I won for Wings of War/Glory is a stylised representation of that most typical feature of WW1 - the shell cratered, mud churned and trench riddled terrain known as ‘No Mans Land’. This could equally be used for pretty much any sector of the Western Front and so is a really useful and atmospheric mat to use. Given that war in the air often operated over such terrain - reconnaissance flights, aerial observation and so forth, not to mention tactical bombing etc - I am expecting to be using this mat a lot once I can take to the air with my collection.

On the subject of getting some games in my plan is make use of the upcoming back holiday weekend to give the game a spin - nothing fancy, probably just a ‘one on one’ duel - as I ease my way back into the system.

In the meanwhile the search for other aircraft continues and as mentioned - I am only looking at around half a dozen models or so.

In other news….

I have had my third consultation interview at work for the potential redundancy and should nothing positive turn up this week (I am interviewing for three roles internally) then ‘Der Tag’ is scheduled to be on or around the 7th of May. 

We shall see what happens.

8 comments:

Steve J. said...

That mat does look good David and as you rightly say, probably the most useful of the lot. A the 3 consultations route, I remember it well from my time in work. Fingers crossed but if it is 'Der Tag', well as the wonderful Doris Day sang;"que sera sera"...

David Crook said...

Hi Steve J,

I suspect this mat will see a lot of service!

If ‘Der Tag’ comes to pass then it would not be the end of the world - more like a bit of a speed bump!

All the best,

DC

Aly Morrison said...

A splendid looking mat David…
Hopefully your ‘consultations’ go the way you want…

All the best. Aly

David Crook said...

Hello there Aly,

It really looks the part for the Great War and I am sure it will get a lot of use.

Consulting is as consulting does as they say - I had the first of three internal interviews yesterday that looks fairly promising, the second is today and the third has yet to be arranged. If any of these come to pass then ‘Der Tag’ will be delayed accordingly (two of the roles are short term contracts). If nothing comes to pass then Tuesday of next week will see the final decision meeting taking place - this will be ‘Der Tag’.

We shall see what shall see.

All the best,

DC

Glory to Ruritania said...

Best wishes for your work/consultations process. Hope it all goes well for you. Quinn

Ray Rousell said...

The mat looks excellent Dave. Fingers crossed for the job!

David Crook said...

Hi Quinn,

Thank you old chap!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Ray,

I reckon this is the mat that will get most use - it is just so evocative of the Western Front.

Thanks re the job (actually I am in the frame for three of them).

All the best,

DC