Friday 31 May 2024

The Eternal Napoleonic Enthusiast


Loads of Command and Colours block and card driven goodness - just as well I am currently, to use the theatrical expression, ‘resting’ as there are an awful lot of blocks to be labelled!

Back in the early days of my wargaming career my main passion was the Napoleonic Wars. This coincided with the release of the film Waterloo and of course, the Airfix 20mm range. I suspect that many a wargamer of a certain vintage could tell a similar tale! The years have rolled by and historical periods have come and gone in and out of fashion during my wargaming journey but the Napoleonic Wars was always there or thereabouts, waiting patiently for the command, “Now’s your time, Crook!” (Or something similar….).

Now that I am staring down the barrel of premature and enforced retirement following my recent redundancy, my planned bout of ‘front loading’, aka laying in gaming supplies for the additional spare time I will have (even allowing for the ‘to do’ list of domestic chores!), has proven to be one of my better decisions. The material you see in this post is a direct result of this.

Whilst no wargamer will ever admit to having everything they need I am happy to say that I am probably closer to this ideal than I have been for many a long year! I think that main reason for this is that I have made a number of decisions that have shaped my collection in a more orderly fashion based upon, dare I say it, that which I am most interested in as opposed to those occasional bouts of whimsy - ‘ooooh shiny! - in the face of something new and tempting.


1815 from the strategic angle and of course a naval game - I also have a copy of Wooden Ships and Iron Men lurking around, together with S Craig Taylor’s splendid grid based ‘Ship ‘O the Line’

The Napoleonic Wars has just about everything I need from a historical period gaming wise on both land and sea. Everything from skirmishes with a handful of figures up to army level battles with the added bonus of a healthy and rewarding naval side. There is no shortage of printed material as well as a healthy selection of fiction based on the period. Chuck in the occasional foray on the big and little screen and you have it all.

Since moving away from the Isle of Sheppey in 1977 as a dyed in the wool Napoleonic gamer I have tried just about everything else from the time of the Pharaohs to ‘Cold War gone hot’ type games and so Napoleonics kind of fell by the wayside a little as I explored many new and shiny things. Some of the latter have stayed with me - especially naval and aerial - but always there was that gnawing away at a corner of my soul, a reminder of glorious days gone by as armies of painted plastic 20mm Airfix figures went into battle, marching to the tune of Bruce Quarrie’s rules to do battle amongst the Merit trees and walls, repurposed Airfix Waterloo Farmhouses and pan scourer hedgerows. 

I have no plans to paint any Napoleonic figures anytime soon. I have everything I need for tabletop battles via Command and Colours (I have the whole lot) and my block armies for anything higher level. I am undecided about skirmish level games but who knows? Maybe the brushes might come out at some point but certainly not in the immediate future. In fact, the only thing that is likely to be painted anytime soon for the Napoleonic wars is most likely to be ships.

Now I had planned to explore age of sail gaming using scratchbuilt models in the same way as I did for the ACW. This idea is still hanging around but for now I am looking at something rather more ambitious - simply because I should have the time to do so.

What does this all mean?

I had always promised myself that I would go back to the Napoleonic Wars in a meaningful way - my brief foray into the Del Prado collection was a pointer in this direction - but the biggest obstacle was always the land side and painting a collection to use. With the benefit of experience, coupled with the block armies, Command and Colours, the Portable Napoleonic wargame and my planned excursion into naval using models I can at last give the period the attention it deserves. 



8 comments:

The Good Soldier Svjek said...

I have those Napoleonic C&C they are a cracking series of boxed games . I'm slowly working my way through the Penninsular wars using the British and Spanish box.

David Crook said...

Hello there Good Soldier Svjek,

To my eternal shame and embarrassment this is the second time I have gone down the C and C Napoleonic rabbit hole but for a variety of reasons I feel far better equipped to tackle it this time around. My head is much clearer for one thing - lots of extraneous debris has cluttered the thought process somewhat.

Funnily enough the Peninsular was to be my first port of call and so I am currently rereading Jac Wellars Wellington in the Peninsular for inspiration.

All the best,

DC

Aly Morrison said...

A fine collection of Command and Colors David…
I don’t envy you the sticker sticking…

All the best. Aly

Mark Cordone said...

Being also of that certain vintage, I had (and stull do )a similar fascination with the wars of Napoleon, and I also started with Airfix plastic soldiers. I still buy 20mm Napoleonic sets to this day, and even paint some of them. I have gone the imaginations route, but shamelessly mix history with them. Like you I can never quite escape the siren's call of the Napoleonic wars. I'm looking forward to seeing where it takes you and would love to see your take on the Age of Sail with scratch built ships as in the Portable Ironclads wargame.

Steve J. said...

Looking back it seemed one either went down the Nappies or WWII route with Airfix as a kid, with the latter being my path into wargaming and as such, holds a special place in my heart. I've tried to get into Nappies gaming, but it just doesn't grab, unlike say the SYW. Each to their own and all that.

David Crook said...

Hi Aly,

I am a leading authority on labelling blocks and in truth, it is rather therapeutic and relaxing. The issue afterwards is storage into unit types but I have a plan for that.

The front loading for retirement has certainly paid off!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Mark,

I would love the idea of painting up some Napoleonics but I would be kidding myself if it was ever going to happen. Ships are another matter though!

I originally thought about using the building technique I employed for the ACW collection - the frigates and sloops - but for reasons that will become apparent i am planning on something else…..

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Steve J,

I gamed the SYW years ago with Eric and the Newham Old Guard and had enormous fun doing so. I even started on an army for the period (Swedish using Minifigs) but it never really ‘set’ as a period for me. Having said that the French and Indian war has a certain appeal.

Now that I am semi officially retired I hope to be able to spend more time on the Napoleonics via Command and Colours and who knows? I may even think about painting up some figures for a skirmish style set up.

All the best,

DC