Tuesday, 21 July 2026

Ironclads and a Boot Sale


The box shape caught my eye and word games are popular in Maison Crook so I picked this up for £1. There are 100 hexagonal tiles each measuring 25mm across the flat sides and are 5mm thick. The letters are on one side only. The gaming potential of these very useful tiles is obvious - more so as they also fit one side of my double sided blue hexed cloth as that also has hexes that are 25mm across the flat sides. 

Bit of a quick post this one - mainly because my next post will be a a bigger one!

Laurel and I headed out to our usual Sunday boot sale for the first time since before we went on holiday. With her newly diagnosed gallstones issue it was touch and go if we were going to be out and about at all but she felt comfortable enough to try it out (which is not saying a great deal as she is still suffering from the after effects of her gallstone attack of two weeks ago). It was worth it as some fresh air did us both good, along with a couple of bargains to add the cherry on top.

The game above will provide a change from Scrabble (Laurel and I have the scores kept from over 15 years of play - she is winning by around 6 games overall!) and the components will be useful from a wargames perspective. All in all £1 well invested methinks!


The Really Useful Box full of MDF. As you can see, the hulls are coming along nicely - the layers that are painted brick red will be used for the RN lower hulls at waterline level. The white ‘boot topping’ will be added to the main hull before the final assembly. I find it easier painting layers rather than lines!

For a variety of reasons, most of which will feature in the next post, I have moved the Turkish and Royal Navy ironclads back into the production queue - at the head of the list! I need to have a sort out of the bits and pieces you see in the box and also I need to order some new custom turret assemblies from Warbases as the ones I ordered for HMS Devastation and the two Turkish monitors are two small by a couple of mm. Once I have tidied them up and have the new turrets the first rider f business will be to finish the hulls and then it will be mast building. LOTS of mast building!

No comments: