Friday 22 August 2014

New Additions....at last!

At long last a couple of items arrived that I have been waiting on for some time - roughly four weeks in each case. The first was the last of the ships from Stonewall Miniatures for the capital ship phase of my Jutland project. This is a pair of Queen Elizabeth class battleships and a pair of the earlier Orion class. There was also another dozen M class destroyers. The battleships will be based and undercoated over the coming weekend with a view to making a start on the models as well. The first batch will be from the RN and my feeling is that it will be the Battlecruisers.

The other arrival was a box of some 3" high plastic palm trees. These started life as cake decortions and are really rather nice. They are moulded with a brown trunk and base and with some green fronds and would be usable as they are although a quick paintjob would certainly improve the look. For some reason I am unable to upload any pictures so I will try and add some later so you can see what they look like.

In the meantime though, I have been rereading 'Riding the Retreat' by the late Prof. Richard Holmes and can only say that I have been suitably inspired. So much so that I have been scouring evil bay for some extra reading material (not a huge amount, just two titles in particular) which is currently winging its way to the wilds of deepest Rayleigh....

More of which anon.

4 comments:

Simon Quinton said...

Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing the pics of the trees.

David Crook said...

Hi Simon,

They will feature in the next post.

All the best,

DC

Jim Duncan Wargamer said...

David

Have you seen this blog?

http://redinthemorning.blogspot.co.uk/

Jim

David Crook said...

Hi Jim,

I have and then moved swiftly away! Seriously though, those models look really top drawer but are a little too rich for my blood. I may treat myself to the odd model but by and large Stonewall and Panzerschiffe will cover most of my needs.

Many thanks for the link though - much appreciated.

All the best

DC