Friday 15 September 2017

Rommel by Sam Mustapha


Glossy, hard-backed and with an impressive pedigree....

It has been an insanely busy few weeks with both the new job, the new kitchen and assorted other DIY and domestic issues. The former is going well and I am particularly pleased with the sensible and grown up approach to the job and the hours. The kitchen is, at last, coming to an end and so would have only taken around nine months....


From the gaming perspective the man cave will be changing slightly as due to the new kitchen I now have a new table measuring 5ft by 3ft with a leg at each corner rather than the old drop leaf version currently in use. As anyone with a drop leaf table will know you are a little restricted for storage underneath so the new single piece table is most welcome. It does mean I will have a 5 ft by 3ft piece of MDF spare should anyone want the same. I am planning to make the change over this weekend.


I took delivery of a copy of the operational scale WW2 rules by Sam Mustapha and whilst I have not had the chance to read them in great detail seem to have ticked an awful lot of my personal gaming boxes. They are square grid based which will suit me down to the ground especially for the scale I will be using - 1/600th or 3mm if you prefer.


The game uses a 6ft by 4ft table divided into 6" squares meaning a grid of 8 x 12. Now I own (and both have featured on the blog in use) a couple of 3ft by 2ft game boards gridded with 3" squares - exactly the same as the bigger version described in the rules. A 3" square looks fine with the 3mm models deployed therein especially as my plan is to base the models for use with Command and Colours as well. This means a typical tank unit will have 3 bases whilst infantry have 4 and artillery 2. Using these bases will enable the models to deployed far more aesthetically within a square than using a single large base.


Am I excited about this set of rules? Absolutely! I have been waiting for something like this for a while and although I have seen and experimented with a couple of other similarly scaled sets I have yet to find the right fit. I am hoping this will be the one.


4 comments:

Paul O'G said...

They do sound like a good set of rules - keen to try them out myself

David Crook said...

Hi Paul,

Upon first reading they look very nice indeed and I know that a lot of work, thought and testing has gone into them.

When I have looked in greater detail I will write a fuller post.

All the best,

DC

Archduke Piccolo said...

I've been eyeing this project off and on for some time now. Is 'Rommel' playable with 1:76 scale figures and kit? If so, I might be even more interested in obtaining a copy...

David Crook said...

Hi Archduke,

The basic system uses a 6" square grid on a 6ft by 4ft table so using your preferred scale should present few issues. I have had a chance to read them in a little more detail and they look very impressive indeed - especially for my planned 3mm projects.

All the best,

DC