Tuesday 6 February 2018

Axis and Allies: The Cruisers and a Surprise

As part of my ongoing recovery from the current dose of the screaming awfuls (and many thanks for all the good wishes) I spent some time today sorting out the next batch of models from my 1942 edition of Axis and Allies. The big ‘addition’ in this version is of course the provision of cruisers for each of the major powers. The models are of heavy cruisers - the 8” (or 7.1” if you are Soviet) armed vessels. It would have been nice to have some light cruisers but one cannot have everything I suppose.


From left to right you the Japanese Takao (4), the US Portland (2), the German Hipper (3), the RN County class (13) and the Russian Kirov (6). Note the rather unexpected Russian battleship in the background - something for the Stukas to aim at!

The Russian battleship was unexpected but a welcome addition to the Soviet navy. The Royal Navy also gained an S class destroyer so the Fletchers can go back to their rightful owners.

These models are very basic but with a quick paint job will look presentable enough for my needs. It also means that I can plan some more actions as the variety of models available will give me more choice. Oddly enough one avenue I am thinking about is the Indian Ocean and the great Japanese sweep. In order to make this work though I will need to get the 1941 version of the game as this will deliver some Kongo class ships for the IJNS, not to mention an Akagi class carrier.

There will be ships left over and so the possibility of some conversions is something else to think about. One thing I am not short of though, are merchantmen and submarines - and therein lies a whole new range of possibilities.


6 comments:

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

I am cradling mu beloved 1/3000 Navwar kit ;)

David Crook said...

Hi Geordie,

Be gentle with it!

All the best,

DC

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

David,

I didn't realise quite what a range of model ships were available in the A&A games. I look forward to seeing what they look like painted.

All the best,

Bob

David Crook said...

Hi Bob,

The range is a little sparse and with some strange choices but there are a few of the usual suspects to be going on with. I am looking forward to getting these on the painting tray and will be sure to get some pictures.

All. The best,

DC

William Stewart said...

Interesting range and yes, I too would like to see what they look like when painted.

David Crook said...

Hi William,

The first few are on the paint tray so I hope to have some pictures up fairly soon. The models are basic but overall have the ‘look of the thing’ which is what I want.

All the best,

DC