Tuesday 11 October 2022

More on the WoFun ACW Collection

 I spent some time early this morning (up early as not sleeping well again) reviewing the contents of the ACW WoFun collection that Bob Cordery very kindly passed over to me - I will do the same with the Jacobites in due course. 

The figures are from the standard i.e. not Peter Dennis range meaning that they are individual figures and are of 18mm. The entire contents of the box are in the pictures that follow - note that there are a few missing figures from the sprues, these are in fact safe and sound in a grip top bag. Such is the usual quality of the cutting technique used by WoFun that having figures fall off the sprue easily is quite commonplace so care in handling is always a good idea!


1. The artillery and bases. I am uncertain about the artillery as experience with the ECW collection has not enamoured me to the MDF guns. I may replace these with models but for now they will suffice. I think it is the square cross section of the gun barrels that takes the due off for me! The bases in the bottom two pictures can fit up to 6 or 9 pieces.


2. The first four of the ten sprues - primarily infantry and gun crews.


3. The second four of the ten sprues - again primarily infantry and gun crews with the beginnings of the cavalry.


4. The final two of the tend sprues in the box. The ‘arme blanche’ so to speak or ‘donkey wallopers’ depending on your point of view….

There is a great selection of figures in this collection and I am looking forward to starting work on getting them table ready. I am undecided about using the supplied bases but will fall off that particular bridge when I get to it. In the meantime though, it is back to the ACW ships where the next batch of models are quietly waiting on their commissioning….


6 comments:

Simon said...

Those are nice, but I do prefer the Peter Dennis WoFun ranges. They do also seem expensive especially if there is import duty on them.

David Crook said...

Hi Simon,

To be honest I like both styles and certainly this lot will give me additional flexibility in terms of basing. An option I am thinking about is using individual bases so as to make use of rules like Rebels and Patriots or even for skirmishes so single figures are a definite advantage.

Sadly overseas shipping and import duties are currently expensive making the proposition perhaps less attractive but to offset that is the sheer convenience of ready to use armies.

If WoFun could them produced under licence in the UK that may well introduce hem to a much wider audience.

All the best,

DC

Donnie McGibbon said...

I was in the Peter Dennis camp but now looking at your ACW collection, they look very nice as well. Can only echo your comment about someone producing them under licence here, would be rather good!

Archduke Piccolo said...

Interesting! I've not seen this sort of thing before. There seems to be enough there for some pretty hefty sized battles!

David Crook said...

Hello there Donnie,

Originally I was very much in the Peter Dennis camp but this collection has certainly given me much to admire and think about. A friend of mine has a similar AWI set and he has done wonders with them. I am leaning more and more towards individual bases but have plenty of time to make a decision.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hiya Archduke,

I reckon you are right and certainly I do not envisage getting anything else to go with this - having said that I reckon some generals would be a good idea.

All the best,

DC