Monday 26 June 2023

Firing Salvoes in the Great War

Something that has been on my radar for sometime. I rather like the range band system in which ships relative positions are recorded and whether they are closing, withdrawing or maintaining their relative station. 

I really should stay away from the Wargames Vault!  It is a veritable treasure trove of gaming bits and pieces and all manner of stuff you never knew you needed. So it was that I was idly browsing their website when I came across the rules set you see above. I have a says on these since the first edition but for one reason or another I never managed to get around to ‘pulling the trigger’ so to speak. That has now been rectified and I am pleased that I did not leave it any longer!

The rules themselves are designed for solo play and on a ship to ship basis. Multiple ships can be used and whilst at first glance the system would struggle to fight something Jutland scaled for much smaller actions - cruisers etc or just the odd battleship - they seem ideal. There are counters included to print off and use (scaled at 1:6000th) for a substantial range of ship types from various nationalities. Ships do ‘move’ a such, they merely adjust their facing and range as required. Models can be readily used although the author suggests that you would need the ship specs handy as all the information required is contained on the counters. Perhaps a spreadsheet exists somewhere for this - I will have a look and see if that is the case.

Minden Games produce a whole range of bits and pieces in terms of rules etc so I dare say that I shall be dipping into their offerings again at some point.

I can’t believe it has taken me so long!



No comments: