Tuesday 20 June 2023

The Late Arrival


Definitely an area of interest and something I have had an eye on for ages!

The final part of my Father’s Day haul from my son arrived yesterday and it is a cracker! I cannot believe it has taken me this long to get a copy of the above but I am glad that I have at long last. The book includes eight scenarios - hex grid based - as well as the rules and is of course designed to be fought solo. There are a large number of these solo game books doing the rounds at present and somewhat surprisingly, given that most of my gaming tends to be solo these days, I am rather late arriving at the party!

Naturally my plan would be to game these using my models - luckily I have a hexed cloth that would be just about large enough to deploy the models within a single hex rather than the two I am used to - and after having run through them using the rules from the book it would be interesting to replicate them using my own Portable Ironclads Wargame.

I am looking forward to seeing how this system works out and will report back in due course - with pictures as well!

9 comments:

Peter Douglas said...

Enjoy! I’ll be interested in hearing a review.
Peter

Steve J. said...

Solo games are certainly high up on my agenda too David. Good that you have been able to get your hands on a copy:).

Scott said...

Hi David,

I ordered a copy of the same book. I have yet to go through it and play. I'm gradually am trying the games I already (various board wargames) but I keep buying more.

I look forward to reading you action reports once you game a battle.]

Scott

David Crook said...

Hi Peter,

It certainly looks pretty good and I am already thinking about adapting the scenarios for use with my Portable Ironclads Wargame rules. I hope to get to do something with them at the weekend if possible.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Steve J,

Better late than never! Based on the availability of other solo game books I reckon my birthday and Christmas list will be full up for a few years to come - best of all they are relatively cheap and from what I have seen are all for the most part readily adaptable to the table top.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Scott,

I know what you mean! I have four board games that require some TLC so I really should get around to tackling them!

All the best,

DC

Aly Morrison said...

A very appropriate Fathers Day present….
I often wonder how our children k ow exactly what to buy us… 🤔🤣😂🤣

All the best. Aly

David Crook said...

Hi Ray,

You know me so well old chap!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi there Aly,

The wonder that is the Amazon gift list!

All the best,

DC