Thursday 20 July 2023

Three Steps to Heaven….

Altogether now…”Now there, are three steps to heaven…” So sang Eddie Cochran (and Showaddywaddy back in 1975) but in this case it refers, literally, to the steps I have taken in respect of Eric’s WW2 collection. I have no idea why this particular song should have come to mind only that getting the car full of stuff into the man cave involved, yes, you have guessed it, three steps.

Step 1.


From the car to the ‘office’ - the desk at the top is my workstation for work or, as my boss whimsically describes it, where the magic happens….


Unfortunately the office was not big enough for everything so the stairs were pressed into service. It was all going up there anyway!

Step 2.


After what felt like having climbed the north face of the Eiger - a veiled reference to the umpteen number of times I went up and down the stairs - the entire collection sits proudly blocking the landing with an overspill into the bedroom on the right

Step 3.



Finally, everything is in the man cave. The table you see is full underneath as well whilst wooden trays of 1944 British and Americans round along the left.

Trust me, this looks a lot worse than it is as Eric tended to follow the Amazon style of packing for much of this collection. A myriad of boxes that are too large for the contents - yes, there is some minor damage to a few vehicles - and are in poor condition with crushed sides and all sorts. Just visible in the picture above are some of the nine cucumber boxes Eric had used - he also made extensive use of them for the 18th century collection - some of which have the date of 1994 stamped on the side…

I had a chance to take a slightly closer look at what there is as I was lugging it up into the man cave. Obviously I will have a better idea once I can spend some time with all but a provisional list looks something like this:

1940 French including Colonial types
1940 Belgians
1940 British
1944 British - Infantry and armour
1944 British Paratroops
1944 Polish Paratroops
1944 German SS - infantry and armour
1944 German Volksgrenadier
German Falschirmjager - not sure which end of the war yet!
German Infantry - again, not sure which end of the war yet!
German bridging unit
1944 German Coastal and Fortress troops
1944 British 14th Army
1944 US - infantry and armour
Russian heavy artillery

With all of these in addition to there is a ton of support and command, recce, AT, engineers, AA and artillery of every imaginable calibre. Everything is organised, as far as I can see, to brigade level and upwards for use with Rapid Fire. 

There seems to be a lot of Britannia figures and vehicles and whilst a big chunk is painted the amount of unpainted stuff is considerable. If you need five Pershing tanks let me know…

There is also a box of Ottoman Turkish artillery for the 17th century as well as a selection of traction style heavy artillery tractors.

Did I mention the German cavalry regiment plus support?

This is going to be a huge undertaking to sort out and also to see what, to be frank, is unlikely to find a home. There is a substantial quantity of Eric’s conversions - some of which work better than others - that as Bob Cordery pointed out, would be great in an imagination style environment.

The great sort out will start this weekend and the first order of business will be get the nationalities in their separate piles and also to replace some of the more damaged boxes.

By the way, there are three Matchbox/Revell Jagdpather kits still on their sprues but without decals.

This is going to be fun. A lot of work, but fun….




14 comments:

tradgardmastare said...

Interested to hear more of the ottoman 17th C artillery…

David Crook said...

Hello there Mr T,

There is a box of boxes marked up as Ottoman artillery but the only I have I opened so far has painted Minifigs gunners with small battalion style guns. I am not sure what is in the other boxes so will let you know once I have had a chance to look at them..

All the best,

DC

Jim Duncan Wargamer said...

When my best friend died back in 2013 I cleared his loft which took 14 car journeys back to base using a large car boot, floor to ceiling, back seat likewise and front passenger seat and footwell.

This covered complete armies, incomplete armies and not yet started armies. I dusted off the complete armies, completed the incomplete armies and finished the not yet started armies.

I took them to various shows and sold the lot raising over ten grand for charity. It took about a year and a half of my life to do so and wouldn't want to do it again.

Good luck to yourself.

Jim

Donnie McGibbon said...

Earlier posts had said it was a big collection and my goodness it is!!! That is a whole lot of stuff there, plenty for WW2 gamers to enjoy that's for sure. Good luck to you on a worthy cause to re -home the collection.

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

David,

There’s even more than I expected!

You have a mammoth task ahead of you but I know that you’ll ,pmake sure that Eric’s collection goes to great new homes.

All the best,

Bob

David Crook said...

Hi Jim,

That experience must have been draining and a lot of work. In a way I have been fortunate in that my own trips to collect have been far less than yours as Bill has dropped a lot of the stuff for me. He on the other hand had a lot more to do - clearing his father’s house, shipping half to his place in Norfolk and the other half to his home. There was then some back and forth between the two places as parts of the collection were spread between the two venues.

The past couple of years I have not been able to do much due to Laurel’s surgery and ongoing recovery so I have effectively done this in two parts although without any painting involved. All I am doing is sorting and selling.

The only downside is packing and posting painted figures safely - I find that to be tedious in the extreme which is why I am tackling the unpainted stuff first!

Many thanks for your good wishes old chap, much appreciated.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi there Donnie,

Although a lot of work is involved I am honoured to be doing this as I owed Eric a debt of gratitude for much of wargaming development so to speak. He inspired many of my wargaming flights of fancy over the years and a lifelong interest in naval wargames, WW1 sideshows and the value of a good back story to a campaign or battle.

There will be some wonderful things to uncover when I start ‘drilling down’ into the collection.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Bob,

It was and will be a lot of work but if I can get the collection to new homes to be enjoyed once again then it will have been worth it.

For sure there is a lot to enjoy in this collection as well!

All the best,

DC

Maudlin Jack Tar said...

Looks like a miniature Operation Overlord in waiting.

David Crook said...

Hello Maudlin Jack Tar,

Whilst lugging the boxes up the stairs and then into loft I don’t know about Operation Overlord - more like Operation Overload!

After I have replaced a number of the boxes our recycling bin will be rather full!

All the best,

DC

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

David,

Hopefully your floor can take the weight!

All the best,

Bob

nundanket said...

Blimey! Must have used a few calories carting that lot up and down stairs. Looks even more than it did in your 'in car' pictures.
Hat tip to you for taking on this task.

David Crook said...

Hi Bob,

To be honest the volume is actually lighter than that of the 18th century collection - which is just as well! Once I have had a chance to properly organise and rebox some of it - mainly the damaged boxes - it should be a little more compact and easier on the floorboards!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hello there nundanket,

I certainly ached the next day in places I had forgotten I had! It looks even worse at the moment as I am sorting the boxes out further and much of it spread across the floor of the man cave.

All the best,

DC