Tuesday 11 July 2023

WW2 Eric Knowles Style - Gliders


An Airspeed Horsa coming in for what looks like a heavy landing - I hope he got the nose up a little!

The pace is hotting up in that plans have been finalised for me to pick up the WW2 collection of Eric Knowles. I shall be heading over into deepest Essex to Bill’s place and will then pack the car to the gunwales with painted 20mm WW2 stuff. I was swapping message with Bill earlier today and two things emerged - firstly that the collection included gliders and secondly, there is around 50Kg of UNPAINTED figures and equipment that Bill had forgotten about!

One of my contacts had enquired about gliders - along with heavy artillery - so he will be delighted when I tell him there are some. At this stage I have no clue as to what they are but am willing to bet that the Airspeed Horsa will feature.

So Wednesday 19th July is the day so expect a flurry of posts afterwards - as soon as I have recovered from shifting umpteen boxes of figures and equipment into the man cave!

4 comments:

Steve J. said...

50kg!!! I hope your car's suspension is OK. We used to carry in 20kg drums of silicone and by God they were heavy but found it easier to carry two for balance!

Donnie McGibbon said...

Mammoth task you are undertaking but a very worthy one! WW2 is not a period I collect or game but will be following with great interest.

David Crook said...

Hi Steve J,

I will have a better idea of the scale of the collection and the weight involved next week. As it stands I suspect that it may require a couple of trips - I only have a twenty year old Honda Civic after all - but certainly I would be keen to tackle the unpainted stuff first of all as it is easier to package and move on.

We shall see.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Donnie,

Eric had retired and moved away before he started his WW2 collection so much of it will be unknown territory for me, unlike his 18th century stuff of which I have fond memories of some truly epic battles back in the day.

Knowing Eric though, the collection will be comprehensive in respect of not only the teeth arms but also the rear echelon stuff.

Oh, and industrial quantities of artillery….

All the best,

DC