Tuesday 31 October 2023

At Long Last!


Oh yes indeedy! If this does not reignite the flames of the ACW project and much more then I dont know what else will!

Finally, after years of trying to track down this particular edition of the two volume set, I am at long last the proud owner of Battleships in Action by H.W. Wilson. To say that I am beyond chuffed is probably an understatement as this has been a ‘Holy Grail’ set for me for ages. Starting with the early British and French ironclads leading into the American Civil war and taking us through to looking at submarine warfare during the Great War, the series covers pretty much everything I am interested in afloat during the period in question.

Dated? Yes, certainly in terms of the writing style but for me that only adds to the experience. Factually correct? I am sure that more modern works may have better detail but taken in the spirit of the times it will be more than sufficient for my purposes.

Absolutely. Chuffed. To. Bits!

8 comments:

Steve J. said...

It's always so nice when you finally get your hands on something that you've been after for years, and without having to sell body parts to pay the price for them;)!

Rob Young said...

Looks like a good buy. Always nice to get your hands on something you've been after for a while.

joppy said...

It took me years to track down my pair, this was before the instant searches provided by the internet. Lots of letters and wants recorded with booksellers around the country finally produced results. Another good title to get hold of is "Warships and Navies of the World - 1880, by J.W.King, originally from the date in the title but my edition from 1982.

David Crook said...

Hi Steve J,

I had seen some outrageous prices quoted for these two - £150 for the pair even! - so for £30 I am really pleased.

For the record they are really good!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Rob,

They will certainly get a lot of use of that I am certain! I already have a few ideas to ponder so it was time and money well spent.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Joppy,

I can remember leaving letters and lists with booksellers pre the internet! I will look out for the book you mention as I suspect it will be hugely useful for the next phase of my ironclad adventures.

All the best,

DC

Michael said...

They are certainly a good read and make up part of my (slightly) oversized library. But the hunt for the "right" book can be its own reward.

David Crook said...

Hi Michael,

The two books form a nice arc over the period 1860 to 1918 which is probably my favourite for naval games. Now the search begins for the book that Joppy mentioned….

All the best,

DC