Wednesday 1 November 2023

Better Paint than Never….


Early war Luftwaffe colours - also useful for the Condor Legion during the Spanish Civil War. Vallejo produce another two Luftwaffe sets to the best of my knowledge - one for tropical and maritime aircraft and one for late war.

I have often mentioned about my general aversion to painting - specifically anything ‘organic’ - and that my basic technique is still rooted, for the most part, in 1970s vintage Humbrol enamels. By degrees I have been moving over to acrylics and whilst I have a selection from several manufacturers my preferred choice are this produced by Vallejo. Much of the ACW naval collection was painted using a combination of acrylic and enamel but as the enamels are being send up so the acrylics become more and more essential to my palette.

OK, I know, it has only taken me forty odd years to make the leap of faith into a new style of paint but better late than never!

I noticed that Vallejo produce a number of themed sets of colours and so was delighted to see that these included aircraft. A quick look at their list and I settled on the set you see above for the Axis and Allies 1:100th scale Battle of Britain Luftwaffe set up and a similar set for the early war RAF. The latter set should arrive in the next day or so, along with my hexed cloth, so it only leaves the decals to be ready and I have everything I need to get ‘airborne’.


A selection of schemes from the period using the paints enclosed.

I shall be adding Stukas and Heinkel 111s in due course - both are such iconic aircraft it would be rude not to! 

4 comments:

Steve J. said...

A very useful set and those bright yellow markings, especially on the nose as so iconic IMHO. Acrylics are great and I do wonder how the hell I stood the smell of enamels and thinners in my small bedroom when I was a kid. No wonder my parents used to complain about the smell when they opened the door!

David Crook said...

Hi Steve J,

I have memories of many a long night spent hunched over a card strip of Airfix plastics and several tins of Humbrol Authenticolours - you certainly did not need drugs or alcohol for a high!

The colours in the pack look really good and there is a brief outline along the edge of the box of what the colours were used for. Luckily I have some old brushes to practise the stippling effect with!

All the best,

DC

Aly Morrison said...

A useful paint set indeed David.
I’ve been trying out AK Interactive paints they are quite compatible with Vallejo.
Both manufacturers seem to have very good coverage.

All the best. Aly

David Crook said...

Hi Aly,

The RAF set has also arrived (see the next post) and for sure they are useful indeed. I shall keep an eye out for the AK paints but for now will stick with Vallejo as I can get them to work well!

All the best,

DC