Saturday 25 November 2023

Triremes and Salamis


A box of MDF goodies that will eventually become sixty triremes

After what seems like an age my order for sixty triremes has arrived from Warbases! The delay was entirely my fault but they are here at last and are now officially on my to do list. As this lot are destined to be used for a Salamis style action - actually the Greek and Persian was period as a whole - I shall be organising them into their respective contingents and I have a cunning plan to help with the identification. Each contingent will have a colour used on the bows and stern with flagships featuring some fancier decor. For the record I will not actually need sixty but I wanted a few spares for experimentation purposes - mainly the painting.

An imperative now is to source a suitable cloth and to complete the rules - these are based on those found in the book Salamis by Richard Nelson.

I shall be off over the Christmas and New Year holiday so hope to get some painting done, models built, drafts written and above all, the odd game or two!

11 comments:

Aly Morrison said...

Oooo!
I can smell that MDF from here 😁
I’m looking forward to seeing these painted up.

All the best. Aly

Paul O'G said...

Row well and Live 42!

Donnie McGibbon said...

Nice haul of MDF, also looking forward to seeing how they will look all painted up, should be impressive.

David Crook said...

Hi Aly,

My plan is to use a common approach for the hulls, decks and oars but to paint the bows and sterns in squadron specific colours.

That is the plan then. I also want to build a temple…..

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Paul,

No chance as number 41 has already been unchained!

He doesn’t know why either…..

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Donnie,

I hope so! This may well be my Christmas project.

All the best,

DC

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

David,

Sixty triremes! Those are going to be some fleets of galleys!

I look forward to seeing them in action, and knowing you, that won’t be too long!

All the best,

Bob

David Crook said...

Hello there Bob,

I am looking initially at a refight of Salamis based on Richard Nelson’s book and the striped down rules contained therein. The paint job will be of a similar standard to the ACW collections so nothing fancy. I need to experiment with painting techniques first to get the production line dialled in for a blitz approach.

All being well my Christmas break will see some serious brushwork undertaken!

All the best,

DC

Ray Rousell said...

Looking forward to seeing these all built up!

David Crook said...

Hello there Raymondo,

They have been earmarked as my Christmas project - hopefully 2023 that is!

All the best,

DC

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Watching thi swith interest .. I started with the Navwar 1:1200 triremes