Thursday 2 November 2023

Better Paint than Never!….Part 2


A Hurricane sporting the iconic early war Battle of Britain style camouflage used by the RAF. 

My second set of Vallejo paints, this time for the RAF, arrived yesterday evening - and rather nice they look as well!


The back of the box sporting a selection of types.

At present I have eight Hurricanes and four Spitfires but am seriously investigating whether or not I could source a Bolton Paul Defiant, just for the sheer hell of it! On the Axis and Allies Angels 20/Bandits High group there is a spreadsheet that covers a wealth of aircraft types for WW2, far beyond the ‘official’ types depicted in the game which is really useful. As spreadsheets go it could use a little tidying up and reordering so I will have a go at that and will eventually print a copy off, along with the fan produced bomber expansion.

In other news my cloth arrived and will be going straight back for a refund unless an exchange is an option. The quality is excellent but it is a seascape with hexes that are not white but pinkish! I could have used it but for the pink hexes….


6 comments:

Aly Morrison said...

Very nice…

A Bolton Paul Defiant… It would be rude not to have one 😁

All the best. Aly

David Crook said...

Hi Aly,

If I can find any in 15mm - I am sure someone must have a 3D print file somewhere - I will need four of them.

The decals have been ordered and will be winging their way from the US on Monday so best I get busy on the painting….

All the best,

DC

Scarlet said...

Have you read Defiant? Explains the history of the two seat fighter, and how the Defiant was misused, almost deliberately by senior RAF who didn't want it, as a fighter when it was intended as a bomber destroyer that should have fighter protection.

David Crook said...

Hi Scarlet,

I am sure I read somewhere that the Defiant was intended to be an updated version of the famous Great War Bristol Fighter, but for the life of me I cannot remember where I read that!

When I get to rounding off the project I would like to add some these to the collection, if only for the novelty value!

All the best,

DC

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Three different ways to paint teh underside of the RAF planes - duck egg/sky blue - then weather them teh same .. argh .. love Vallejo but hate myself when I get caught in searching for the right paint ;) Now you have shown me they exist - I want one of each

Rob Young said...

Had a Defiant. Came in black plastic as I recall so I didn't paint it!