Wednesday 24 January 2024

‘65….A Bump in the Boonies*


The box featuring a ‘grunt’ suitably festooned with ammunition….


….and the rear of the box featuring an area of ‘bandit country’.

With one eye on the inevitable ‘right-sizing’ in a few years I have been realigning much of my collection so that it is portable and does not take up vast amounts of space. For me this translates into boardgames rather than models - with of course some notable exceptions - so that the eventual move should be as painless as possible. Large armies will no longer feature so the block armies or 2/3mm will be the order of the day. 28mm will be for skirmishes up to ‘Rampant’ level. Note that ships, aircraft, starships or Battlemechs are not included in this!

As part of this process you may recall a while ago I acquired a whole bunch of WW2 tactical games published by Lock and Load. The rules are outstanding but for a variety of reasons they never really caught my imagination. Everyone I know that games the system swears by them but somewhat perversely I suppose, I am not one of them! What had caught my eye though, was a boardgame published by Flying Pig Games called ‘65 - Squad Level Combat In The Jungles Of Vietnam. This was might up my street in terms of the scale of the game and so I attempted to source a copy. It proved to be an almost impossible task to get a copy in the UK and I was on the verge of giving up when a gaming chum pointed out that a set was up for grabs on Ebay.

I duly ‘watched’ the listing and then on the last day entered a bid, then another, then another after that until eventually the auction finished and guess what? I had won it! It was a little higher than I expected but still an absolute bargain.

The game itself contained all the currently available expansions and although the counters were punched out it was unused. I am a little fastidious about boardgames in that I much prefer mounted map boards and chunky counters and so ‘65 delivers this in spades. The counters are 1” squares or larger and the map boards are suitably ‘Nam looking - loads of trees, rice paddies, small villages and so on. One of the expansions features a cityscape - Hue in this case - so going full on “Full Metal Jacket’ could be fun to try out.

The other expansions include the USMC and ANZAC forces as well as some additional cards and, best of all, a solo system. Gameplay and combat is driven by cards and is quite fast paced and with plenty of decisions to be made every turn. In short, it is a great tactical game.

In years gone by I would have thought about how to use figures for ths and indeed, I acquired a whole pile of ESCI US and VC 20mm figures and developed a version of Memoir ‘44 to use with them but, like so many ‘good ideas at the time’ the enthusiasm faded, mainly due to the work involved to get it to the table.

I can feel a re-reading of ‘We Were Soldiers Once….’ Coming on - I might even watch the film again!

*A Bump in the Boonies was the title of a set of Vietnam wargame rules by Cliff Mitchell and published by Gosling Press. 

4 comments:

Scott said...

Hi David,

I'm glad you found and bought a copy of the '65 game. I bought a copy several years ago and never got around to it. I have lots of boxed wargames I haven't even played yet.

My interest shifts back and forth between playing solo board wargames and painting miniatures. I haven't painted since the covid pandemic. I've been prepping the 20mm Rif War miniatures I bought a few years ago. I received 2mm minatures for Strength and Honour rules last week.

Yours Truly,

Scott

David Crook said...

Hi Scott,

If I am honest then I would say that it will probably not going to be hitting the table soon but nevertheless, I am really pleased to have it. As Aly Morrison said this acquisition falls into the category of ‘front loading for retirement’!

For now though, it is back to the boats.

All the best,

DC

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Interesting - I have read about that game and "wondered"

David Crook said...

Hi Geordie,

It is a cracker! You can tap into your inner Grunt and get up close and personal with the VC.

Don’t forget the choppers!

All the best,

DC