Thursday 28 May 2015

Watching the Swiss Role



I am feeling positively chipper in respect of the whole sorry 'What am I doing and how am I going to do it saga?' that has bedevilled my efforts over the last couple of months. Actually I should qualify that in that I am closer to decding what I want to do or rather closer to deciding what I am NOT going to do - which is nearly as important....:-) Confused? Well read on and all will become clearer.

I have finally joined the Continental Wars Society run by Ralph Weaver. My only regret is that I had not done this sooner as the journal - The Foreign Correspondant - is a cracking read, albeit modest in its page count. The wars in Europe during the 19th century were many and varied and have sufficient variety to cater for even my own somewhat eclectic tastes. For me the various wars involving the Turks hold centre stage - I never really got into the Franco Prussian War - although at present I am reading and rereading Ralph Weaver's wonderful book on the Swiss Civil War in 1847 called Three Weeks in November. Now there is a campaign worth looking at - if only for the sheer originality of it!  

Armed with a copy of Neil Thomas's book on wargaming the 19th century in Europe and Ralph's book on the Swiss Civil War I am thinking that there is much potential - even for an imagi-nation type set up. Let us also not forget that steamers were in use on the Swiss lakes so I am thinking that perhaps some naval activity may feature....

Now if only I could factor in the Turks somehow I am thinking that there are the makings of something quite extraordinary.


13 comments:

Paul O'G said...

I quite liked that Neil Thomas Book, the rules seem good for large scale gaming in the period.

And of course, you can always through the odd Steam powered automaton into the 19th century wars to mix things up a bit too!

Ray Rousell said...

Sounds interesting??

tradgardmastare said...

I have often felt there was an excellent imagination/s in the Swiss & their Cantons be it 18th,19th or even 20th century ( I have thought about it in terms of FLW and a early 20th Century refight of the Sonderbondeskreig,however it's spelled )added to the interesting terrain and paddle steamers you have all the makings of a super game!
Ralph's book is superb and you have reminded me that my CWS sub is due too. Coupled with the 19th C wargaming book you are heading for some fun I think!
Alan

David Crook said...

Hi Paul,

The great thing with the Neil Thomas book is that the scenarios area scaled with smaller actions in mind - which is ideal for the level of actions fought during the Swiss War. There is a lot of potential both for the historical and the hysterical.....any excuse for some colourful uniforms and paddle steamers.....;-)

Lets get this dealt with first and then think about some VSF add-ons!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Ray,

It is obscure, off the wall and probably with no figures specifically available but hey ho - when has that minor detail gotten in the way of s good idea!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Trad,

There is a lot of other ideas here as you rightly point out - I noticed the wonderfully named Toggenburg War in the early 18th century whilst tackling some google-fu. Methinks you and I may be swapping ideas on this!

All the best,

DC

tradgardmastare said...

David
I have come across the Toggenburg war before but can find out little on the uniforms,still looking...
I believe the Swiss used gallies on the lakes in earlier centuies too but the idea of paddle steamers adapted with iron plates ( a la acw naval) etc might make for a fun project and some conversion possibilities...
Alan

David Crook said...

Hi Stu,

I cannot imagine massive naval enterprises taking place on the Swiss lakes but for sure some paddle steamers and possibly some early screw types would be quite acceptable. Not so much a knife - more like a toothpick by comparison!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Trad,

From what I have seen the 'armies' of the cantons in the Toggenburg war would have used cantonal colours. By way of an extension to this I would suggest that standard Marburian era tricorne wearing troops for the 'regulars' would be about right. The cantonal colours feature in Ralph Weaver's book so perhaps the main colour from the cantonal flag with red in evidence may be close to the mark. I say red because that was the standard Swiss colour for troops serving abroad. Pure speculation of course but when has that gotten in the way of a good idea?

I also rather like the naval suggestion as well especially as the ships involved will not be many!

I am going to do some serious research into suitable figures for 1847 or thereabouts and will let you know what i find.

All the best,

DC

Paul O'G said...

On a completely different note, your mate Dave W (I think that was his name - the clever chap who built that cracking Weird WW2 Tiger Mech) might be interested in a kickstart starting next week for a 2nd edition of Secrets of the Third Reich
http://tasmancave.blogspot.com.au/2015/05/secrets-of-third-reich-2nd-edition.html

...and if he doesn't play that any more, I might be interested in helping him free up some storage space!

David Crook said...

Hi Paul,

You mean the modelling legend that is Dave Weedon.....I will mention both bits to him and see what he thinks. The models are pretty darned heavy though so shipping alone would be expensive.

I have been messing around with a few other things as well - more pof which later.

All the best,

DC

Paul O'G said...

Yes that would be him!.
No problem, let me know in due course

David Crook said...

Hi Paul,

I am on the case!

All the best,

DC