Sunday 11 April 2021

Battling Against the Tide and Winning (at last!)


Two ironclads and four paddle steamers with the accompanying funnels, pilot houses and flagstaffs bringing up the rear on the milk carton lids! Note the artistic fusion of Humbrol and Vallejo!

 I must confess that I have found it a real challenge to push on with the latest batch of models for my ACW project. The Easter weekend, my ankle injury (now more or less healed) and the realisation that I will need another batch of pieces from Warbases (thankfully all under way now) are factors that seem to have conspired to apply the brakes slightly. We are where we are though and so after having ‘nibbled away’ at them over the last week I now have six models that should be completed over the next day or so - five for the Confederacy and a single ship for the Union.

The picture above shows the current state of play with these and I am certainly on the final lap despite the somewhat chaotic looking cutting mat. I used Vallejo black for the first time on the funnels and I have to say it is really lovely paint to use. I used it ‘neat’ rather than with water and it had a lovely and manageable creamy consistency. 

I am really keen to tackle some figures but want to get the ACW ships and the accompanying terrain finished first. The first figures I will be tackling will be for Star Saga and for practise purposes I shall use the figures from IMPACT first of all as these are quite basic looking.

Onwards and Upwards!

4 comments:

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Using Vallejo acrylics neat is normal... :o) The only acrylics I could think of that you would need to add water to are the tube/artist type..

David Crook said...

Hello there Steve-the-Wargamer,

That is a good point well made - and is one that I shall try to follow as far as possible!

All the best,

DC

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Very cool project

David Crook said...

Hello there Geordie,

I have had a lot of fun with this so far and this shows no sign of slowing down!

All the best,

DC