Monday 5 April 2021

“I Believe I can Fly....NOT!!!”


“I believe I can fly, I believe I can touch the sky.....

Hmmm. This was the post I was going to write yesterday but figured I would save it for today - simply because the embarrassment factor would have subsided to manageable levels.

My Grandson has been with us for Easter and it was a double celebration as he was 11 on the first of April. He is a keen basketball player and so we purchased a cheap basketball for him as part of his birthday present. He was delighted and so we tool advantage of the lovely weather yesterday to go, as a family, to a local park to ‘shoot a few hoops’ so to speak.

For some inexplicable reason I have acquired a reputation of being accident prone (no laughing at the back please) and so whenever anything untoward happens it is usually greeted by the family with something along the lines of ‘oh no, what have you done now?’ Closely followed by ‘you should be more careful’ or ‘I’ve never known anyone be so accident prone as you’ (the later usually comes from my beloved who has known me long enough to know the truth of this....

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I was attempting to take a long range shot at the basket, trotting backwards as I did - shades of the Harlem Globetrotters and the strains of ‘Sweet Georgia Brown’ going around in my head, whistling as I went - when the ground decided that it was going to part company with my right foot. When they were reacquainted it had to be said that Terra Firma definitely had the better of the exchange as I not only rolled my ankle but I also managed to do a triple barrel roll into the bargain and  so described a graceful arc over the pile of coats we had parked on the grass. 

My aerobatics had all the grace and poise of a sack of potatoes and so I hit the ground with a resounding thud although the family were impressed with the quality of the triple roll.....

I knew there was a problem straight away but I did not realise how severe until later. I was able to stand and walk and, being something of an authority on ankle injuries due to a long running one on my other ankle, was confident that I could walk it off. My fall coincided more or less with us coming home in any event and I was even able to drive with no major inconvenience. 

As the day wore on though so the swelling and bruising became more noticeable and the pain level went up by degrees.

I am well acquainted with the drill for these type of injuries so resolved to keep the offending limb elevated  with a strategically placed bag of frozen sweet corn, some cooling magic spray- the type of thing you see professional footballers being squirted with after looking like they had been shot by a sniper and arising, Lazarus-like from the dead - and, and this is something I very seldom do - an industrial quantity of anti-inflammatories. The family rallied round - the early good natured ribbing soon morphed into genuine concern with thoughts of a 5 hour wait in A and E looming large (my Kindle is fully charged for such an emergency - not that I am tempting fate you understand).

As I type this I still have my ankle elevated and the swelling seems to have settled down although the colours of the bruise are becoming rather kaleidoscopic in their hues. I can get around as long as I keep my foot flat on the ground and I am sure that in a couple of days or so all will be well again. It does mean that the man cave is out though as the ladder will be a challenge so no work on the ACW ships for a few days. 

It is a good job I have my lounge based library (two shelves in the cupboard) so at the very least I can catch up on some reading.

My Grandson topped the scoring list of baskets with yours truly coming last although for entertainment value I like to think that I ran out the winner.....

I also think that Michael Jordan or Lebron James have nothing to fear.....



8 comments:

EB said...

Oops.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Iain

Peter Douglas said...

Rest up. I’ve done similar injuries in similar circumstances.with similar comments from my wife....

Jim Duncan Wargamer said...

So, hop to it young man.

:)

Ray Rousell said...

Uh oh! You shall be now known as DD......Dangerous Dave!

David Manley said...

Ouch! Hope you are on the mend very soon. No modelling time for a while, by that translates into more planning and research time :)

tradgardmastare said...

Hope things are continuing to improve for you...

Simon Quinton said...

Ouch hope you feel better soon and your pride isn't to bruised!

David Crook said...

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for your kind comments - they are much appreciated! I am feeling much better and so the couple of days of r and r and industrial quantities of anti inflammatories seems to have worked their respective magic.

I shall be back in the man cave tomorrow so work on the ACW ships can continue - I have four models at the painting stage - but in the meantime have been catching up on some reading and making plans. Lots of plans....

All the best,

‘Dangerous Dave’