Tuesday 20 September 2022

The Portable Ironclad Wargame


From one of my more memorable actions - The C.S.S. Arkansas meets the Union fleet


One of the sources of inspiration for the rules soon to be unleashed on the unsuspecting public!

The project of nearly three years is in its final stages. I have the bits and pieces I need for the final 16 ships (I was going to build 10, decided that 12 would be better and then settled on 16…) and the final draft of the rules is very close to be shipped off to the play testing team for what I hope will be a ‘typo and grammar checking’ exercise. I have a raft of pictures to take to support the rules - firing arcs and combat examples - as well writing an introduction, fleshing out the bibliography and penning a section about how I built the models I have been using. I also have to design and fight a battle that will be appearing in the book and will demonstrate the rules in action.

It all sounds a lot but in truth much of what I need to do is already at varying stages of readiness. The plan is for the rules to be appearing in print as part of Bob Cordery’s Portable Wargame stable at some point during Q4 - in other words in time for Christmas! They are to be published in hard and soft back and I believe a PDF version will also be available.

I am officially excited about all of this so had best get a wriggle on and get it all finished!

2 comments:

Charles Litka said...

Have you settled on a title for your book & game system yet? Or did I miss it? I am sure it is satisfying to have (almost) completed the project, and it will be exciting to see it in print. Congratulations and all the best!

David Crook said...

Hi Charles,

Yup - sure have! It will be called the Portable Ironclad Wargame. The plan is to get all the remaining threads tied up with a view to publishing in time for Christmas. I am very excited to have gotten this far and seeing it published will be a real thrill for sure!

All the best,

DC