Thursday 25 July 2024

The French Connection - Part One and Two


Plenty of useful detail and some wonderful photographs - with these two and my copies of Janes and Conways I reckon I have all the information I am likely to need!

Following on from recent acquisition of the splendid title about French warships up to 1914 (on the right of the picture) I have finally added what will be the accompanying volume that looks not only at the ships but also the operations of the French Navy during the Great War. These two titles will be invaluable as I raise my 1:2400th French force for use with the planned ‘alternative Madasahatta’ set up, currently on the project list. 

This will be nowhere near as large as my 1:3000th French Navy of yesteryear and I am being careful to confine myself to ships that served primarily on Colonial style duties. This will mean cruisers and some older or obsolete heavier vessels. I have the makings of a list of those models I need and will now be able to fine tune it - at this stage I reckon around a dozen models in all.

Yeah, right…..!!!!

4 comments:

Archduke Piccolo said...

David -
Thanks for the reminder! I've just been collecting all the bits of paper I have strewn about the place, and find I have something like 5 pages of sketches for my 'Chibi-Maru-style' models. Since the 'flat-iron' gunboats the whole thing has been on the back-burner awaiting for my attention to come back around. I rather like the look of the French designs, though of course, in my navies, all ships are fairly 'idealised'.
Cheers,
Ion

David Crook said...

Hello there Archduke,

I did think about scratchbuilding the French but I already own a number of Tumbling Dice British and Germans and to be honest, time would be against me.

Glad to have reminded you though!

All the best,

DC

Aly Morrison said...

Lovely looking books David…
I may have to add them to my list of needs 😁.
Of course you only need a dozen or so models… That’s what we all say…and then…..🤣

All the best. Aly

David Crook said...

Hi Aly,

They are very impressive titles for sure! As for the models - you will probably be surprised at just how disciplined I will be about the quantity required. mainly due to the governing size in the collection of the RN and the Germans - remember this is very much a Colonial style set up so no great fleet actions to worry about.

Yet…. :-)

All the best,

DC