Thursday 1 August 2024

Into Africa - A Nod to Madasahatta

The models under construction - no prizes for guessing which are Mimi and Toutou….

Tuesday the 6th of August is International Naval Wargaming Day and as luck would have it on that particular day we are having a new fence installed in the garden! However, in the spirit of solidarity with naval wargaming chums across the globe I am aiming to have the forces ready for a game in honour of the occasion. 

It will not be the American Civil War though….

I am currently scratch building the principal combatants for the operation on Lake Tanganyika during the early part of WW1. Going forth with Mimi and Toutou in fact.


Part of the WW1 East African section of my library

The story of the Lake Tanganyika Naval Expedition is well known and so I shall not recount it here - there is a brief overview on the as follows: Battle for Lake Tanganyika. It is also an action that has been fought on numerous occasions at various wargame shows - along with The African Queen, naturally as well as ‘Shout at the Devil’ style shenanigans. As an aside I watched the film ‘Shout at the Devil’ for the first time last night - aside from the lovely looking model used as the German ship I was really taken with the scenes shot in Zanzibar - putting me in mind of Madasahatta.

The story itself of the Lake Tanganyika expedition as part of the Great War in East Africa was of course part of the inspiration for the famous Madasahatta campaign organised by Eric Knowles.


Written and collated by Bob Cordery - Gridded Naval Wargames includes a set of rules for Lake Tanganyika as well as an after action report using them. Both are available via Amazon or the Wargames Vault

Anyways, I have the six main combatants (five in actual fact but as one of them served on both sides I thought having them represented with the correct ensign would be a nice touch) under construction and am working on a set of hex based rules for the period. Both have been started and the action or actions will be fought and reported on the blog next week. I am also working on another Confederate commerce raider - the C.S.S. Florida - mainly because she had two funnels. I am sure that many a model has been built for less a reason!


From the pen of the indefatigable David Manley - he has added a few supplements as well, one for the Danube etc during the Great War and one for the Russian Civil War and more recently for actions on the Italian Lakes during the war of 1866. All are available via his Long Face Games label on Wargames Vault


From the collection of David Manley - rest assured that my versions will not anything like the above!

The rules I am cobbling together owe a huge debt to David Manley for the inspiration provided by his Steamer Wars set as well as his very attractive looking models. I am trying to get both ready in time for the 6th of August but time will tell as we have a lot going on over the next few days so time will be at a premium.

I must admit that building something a little more modern than the ACW collection will make a welcome change and be a nice diversion before the main undertaking of the year - the main units for Lissa - starts.

Easing my way back into my modelling groove in easy stages!




15 comments:

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

David,

This is a project very close to my heart and I look forward to seeing it develop.

All the best,

Bob

David Crook said...

Hi Bob,

I should have the models completed over the weekend along with the rules - really looking forward to getting this on the table!

All the best,

DC

Archduke Piccolo said...

Very nice models, David. Can you tell us about those wee fellas at the front, there. Torpedo boats, gun boats? As my merchant navy could stand, perhaps, some augmentation, those other vessels I'm finding curiously compelling!

I might have to reserve a whole new try in my stacks to accommodate...
Cheers,
Ion

Mark Cordone said...

I'm looking forward to seeing your models, and the game!

David Manley said...

The models are from the Tumbling Dice 1/600 range (I can't remember if the merchant ship was one of theirs as well). I've scratch built other models from a variety of old plastic kit bits and bobs as well

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

The small boats are wooden motor gunboats built by Thornycroft of London. They were originally built as seaplane tenders for the Greeks, but were taken over and armed by the Royal Navy. Commanded by Captain Spicer-Sampson, they were transported to South Africa and then carried across the continent by train, traction engine, and ox cart to Lake Tanganyika to take on the German ships that were dominating the Lake.

It’s a fascinating story and was the germ of an idea that CS Forester used for his book THE AFRICAN QUEEN.

All the best,

Bob

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

David Manley,

My models of Mi-Mi, Tou-Tou, and Kingani were made from various spare lifeboats from Airfix 1:600th-scale model warships.

All the best,

Bob

Maudlin Jack Tar said...

Nice idea David, I am also keen to see the completed models and any game action.

David Crook said...

Hi Archduke,

The three small motorboat types are of course Mimi and Toutou - for some reason Tumbling Dice sell these in packs of three. The middle three feature Kingani/Fifi and Hedwig Von Wissman (the larger of the two ships) whilst of the two bigger ships the one with deck guns fore and aft is the Graf von Gotzen. The other large model is, I believe, a generic tramp steamer.

Tumbling Dice produce all of these in 1:600th.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Mark,

A busy weekend slaving away over the modelling table and IPad should see it ready for Tuesday!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi David,

I have seen the other models you have scratch built and they are very nice indeed - they also fit in well with the commercially available stuff to the point that they could readily pass for purchased models!

I particularly like the Dhows!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Bob,

The models used in Gridded Naval Wargames certainly looked the part and using ship’s boats is a great idea and one that I may well, ahem, borrow…. ;-)

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Maudlin Jack Tar,

It is a nice compact undertaking and one that should give some entertaining games for sure. I am confident that the building program will be expanded over time!

All the best,

DC

Archduke Piccolo said...

David and bob -
So THOSE are the Mimi and Toutou! I didn't recognise them.
Cheers,
Ion

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the reminder of INWARD. I'll have to do something - not sure what yet. I have a sailboat racing game planned for Tuesday (we are doing an "Olympics" program at work. Good luck!