Monday 5 August 2024

Naval Stuff - Models, Rules and Future Ideas?


The eagle-eyed amongst you will note the progress on the middle two hulls…..

First the good news. My hexed rules for the Lake Tanganyika expedition (and gunboat actions in general) are finished and are currently with the original author for review etc. As yet they are untested but as soon as I have finished the models I shall be trying them out. 

Now the not so good news! Whilst the ship models for Lake Tanganyika are simple in terms of detail the scratchbuilding has presented a few challenges. As I am working with much smaller vessels compared to the American Civil War a lot of my standard building techniques are a little on the unsuitable side for such  models. Some of the materials I routinely work with are simply too large to use. After much trial and error I think I now have it ‘dialled in’ so progress should be more straightforward.


A closer look at the middle two models. The funnel will be placed between the two raised sections on the central ‘island’. Guns are fore and aft of the central island and I also need to place a mast and flagstaff. For the record the hull is 5cm long

In other news I irked up a copy of the book you see below at our local boot sale for the princely sum of 50p! Very useful for ‘Cold war turned hot” 1980s style games - think Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy as an example.


Just right for the “Dance of the Vampires”

It seems strange to refer to naval warfare set in the 1980s as “Modern” given the technological advances since then - but it will suffice especially as the whole “Cold War turned hot” period is one that I dabbled with “back in the day” and was a lot of fun to game. 

I would hazard a rather ill-informed opinion that this period would probably work best as a boardgame instead of using models and certainly that is an area I will look to explore.


6 comments:

Archduke Piccolo said...

David -
Speaking of 5cm warships, did you ever see these fellows:
https://archdukepiccolo.blogspot.com/2011/11/kiivar-navy.html
The Ra'esharn navy was featured in August the same year. The battleships are 6cm long, the cruisers 5cm and the destroyers 4cm.

I really, REALLY, ought to do something with those navies. I built the Saabian Navy as well. I should get around to completing the air forces, too, I reckon!
You might have seen my accounts of sea battles between Kiivar and Ra'esharn using my Hong Kong 'Mighty Armadas' navies. There I was using a whole different concept. For these tiny ships I'll need something more akin to some of Bob Cordery's earlier rule set. Here was such an action:
https://archdukepiccolo.blogspot.com/2017/02/attentive-to-our-duty-naval-interlude.html
Cheers,
Ion

Steve J. said...

Working with smaller ships etc certainly does present its own challenges for sure David. Whilst some materials are OK, others are simply too 'rough' to get the detail and finesse one might want and need. Still, they look good and look forward to seeing the next stage with them:).

David Crook said...

Hi Archduke,

Gosh I had forgotten about those! Lovely looking and they have given me a few things to think about….

I will revisit the AAR for sure (always a pleasure!) so thank for the reminder.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Steve J,

That was the thing that discombobulated me - some of my ‘go to’ materials were simply too unwieldy to use at a smaller level. I have a handle on it all now though so all should be good for the rest of the build.

All the best,

DC

Glory to Ruritania said...

Best wishes for this very interesting project. Fascinating small battle to wargame. Quinn

David Crook said...

Hi Quinn,

Cheers old chap - much appreciated! It is going to be fun to fight for sure and needless to say I have a few other ideas to go with it.

All the best,

DC