Sunday 18 August 2024

A Naval Problem Solved


The final mock up of the Graf Von Gotzen - with her ‘teeth’ (although historically these did not last long0

OK, I know the purists will be mortally offended but I have solved a construction problem that has been nagging me for ages - that of guns with shields. It is basic but it works and given that my models are ‘based upon’ rather than strictly accurate it will do - and it has opened the door to a whole new universe of naval model making, at least for ships that used shielded guns which, coincidentally, ties in with my planned WW1 adventures.

The solution was, as is usually the way with these things, ridiculously simple and basically consists of a 5mm square of MDF that is 3mm thick with a hole drilled through it to accommodate a length of cocktail stick. A 2mm piece forms the ‘breech’ whilst the remaining length is the barrel. It is a straight shield so sadly no curved versions but hey ho, these models are after all, ‘based upon’ or ‘Hollywood’ style!


What will be my standard shielded gun mount for WW1 warships - simple, crude even, but very effective looking!

The Graf Von Gotzen has now been sealed prior to painting so the next time she appears she will be sporting her new paint job. 

I have really enjoyed working on this project and as mentioned it has opened the door on a whole lot of other goodies so expect to see more of same and a few surprises along the way - all WW1 Africa and the Middle East based!

6 comments:

Steve J. said...

Simple and very effective and once eveything is painted, it should all tie together very nicely indeed:).

Donnie McGibbon said...

Great solution to your problem and they look great, nice little model, looking forward to seeing it painted up.

Maudlin Jack Tar said...

A fine looking vessel - the guns are great and the life-boats are a nice detail. I'm keen to see what else you create

David Crook said...

Hi Steve J,

Everything is now undercoated and I have some time to myself over a couple of days this week so no prizes for guessing what I shall be doing!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Donnie,

A simple solution and one I don't why I didn't think of it sooner! It has also given me a lot of further ideas….

Painting begins with the undercoating which is now complete so the hard yards have been done!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Maudlin Jack Tar,

I have a whole stash of the small boats which originally were going on the ACW collection - and some may still do so - but they are suitable stylised and generic enough looking to suit many periods. They do make the model ‘pop’ in terms of detail.

All the best,

DC