Monday 12 August 2024

Naval and Other Stuff


Missing masts, funnels, flagstaffs and gun barrels but other than that are moving along nicely.

Phew! It has been rather a warm day for sure! Work has continued on the models for Lake Tanganyika using my usual ‘based upon’ styling. I am now at the mast assembly stage along with flagstaffs, funnels and the guns. The Graf von Gotzen is the model that will be bringing up the rear of this batch - mainly because I am still thinking about the best way of tackling elements of the build - but not by much. the issue is really more about the fact that she is at least twice the size of the other models! 

My rescaled flags arrived, courtesy of Brigade Models, so everything will have a suitably sized ensign which adds to the look. 


Flags - 1:1200th at the top, 1:900th in the middle and 1:600 at the bottom - the latter was my default size for the ACW collection but are too large for the smaller models currently under construction.

At the time of writing I have a few hours spare on Wednesday which should see the main bulk of the remaining work completed which means that next weekend I shall be testing out the rules - there will be some really exciting news on the back of this so stay tuned!


Loads of generic looking 18th century troops for which I have a cunning plan….

Sunday morning saw Laurel and I venturing out to our usual boot sale where I scored an unplayed version of the board game Risk containing a vast quantity of generic 18th century looking types. I have gone through several copies of this version of the game but this time have a definite goal in mind which will feature in a later post. Really pleased and at £1.50 an absolute bargain!

8 comments:

Archduke Piccolo said...

David: at a quid and a half, that was an absolute steal!

Steve J. said...

Well those ships are coming along nicely and an absolute bargain for the RISK game there David!

Peter Douglas said...

Loving those lake steamers. I am really looking forward to the finished models.

David Crook said...

Hi Archduke,

I was really pleased to have gotten this for a project I have in mind - and at such a great price!

All the best,

DC

Mark Cordone said...

Congratulations! Looking forward to reading it.

David Crook said...

Hi Steve J,

I am pleased with how the models are coming along after a few adjustments to my building technique! The copy of Risk was a bargain and I have a cunning plan for it - I will post about this in due course but for now it is ship building!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Peter,

Thank you kindly old chap! All being well they will be finished and appearing on the blog dressed for battle shortly.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Mark,

Cheers old chap! It started as a bit of fun and then suddenly it took on a life of its own - you know how it goes!

All the best,

DC