Sunday 25 August 2024

WW1 in 200 Pages


Not my usual style of reading material but….


….it covers all the bases and has some wonderful battle scenes. Besides, at the cost of £1 it was too good to turn down - so I didn’t!

First piece of WW1 related news - the models for Lake Tanganyika are roughly 80% finished with everything painted but requiring final assembly, last minute touching up, varnishing and the addition of the all important flags. I shall be spending some more time on them this evening with a view to finishing them all off tomorrow. An action or two will then follow shortly - using the hexed version of Steamer Wars and Bob Cordery’s Mimi and Toutou go Forth rules found in his excellent book: Gridded Naval Wargames.

Second piece of WW1 related news - I picked up the book above at our local boot sale this morning for the princely sum of £1. It is by no means a detailed account of the battles included but serves as a good primer. It is chock full of colour pictures and some very nice battle scenes. I suppose you would class it as a coffee table book but it is nice to own and serves as a great taster for the battles of the Great War.

There are some other titles in the series - WW2, the ACW, Battles of the Great Commanders and Great Battlefields of the World.

The ACW version may be worth digging out but we shall see.


8 comments:

Aly Morrison said...

I have a copy of that book… somewhere 🙄
It’s not too bad… And for a £1… An absolute winner.


All the best. Aly

Mark Cordone said...

I have a copy of this book as well, but I paid $10 US for it. I think it will be very useful for an idea currently fermenting in my brain that also includes my copy of Axis and Allies 1914.

Archduke Piccolo said...

David -
I have a copy of the ACW 'Great Battles'. Yes I would class it pretty much as a 'coffee table' book: colourful, brief accounts and nice pictures. Not huge on detail, but I think good to have around as a spur to maintaining interest.
Cheers,
Ion

Steve J. said...

Well, you can't go wrong for a quid David! Looking forward to seeing some naval action soon:).

David Crook said...

Hi Aly,

It is very good as a starter on the period and the pics are really atmospheric. £1 was a bargain!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Mark,

I am intrigued by what is fermenting in your brain - I am sure it will be worth looking at when ready if your other output is anything to go by!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Archduke,

My thoughts entirely! The ACW volume is on my radar although I suspect it will cost me more than a £1!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Steve J,

Absolutely! Soon....real soon....

All the best,

DC