From the two titles at the top of the picture to the two at the bottom - my indebtedness to both Bob Cordery and David Manley is immense!
Whilst sorting through the bits and pieces needed for the new book I was reminded of just how I got to where I got to. I readily admit to ‘standing on the shoulders of giants’ in that much of the Portable Ironclads Wargame had its origins in the works of both Messrs Cordery and Manley. All I did was take the best parts of each and shoehorn the result into something resembling a set of ironclad era rules. Are they perfect? Of course not - no set of rules is - but I cannot help but be proud of the effort!
There are things I would do differently if I was embarking on a similar exercise and indeed, the paused book for Pen and Sword represents an evolution of sorts of the Portable Ironclads Wargame. It is half the fun though, embarking on a journey and seeing where it takes you.
The Portable Ironclads Wargame: Definitive Edition polishes the rules and rounds out the period of 1860 to 1880 or so. As mentioned previously, the ACW will feature, the War of the Pacific and a personal indulgence in the shape of the Anglo Turkish War of 1883. I am really looking forward to completing this book and I hope that Portable Ironclad Wargamers will enjoy as much as I will.

4 comments:
David -
Looks as though I might be adding to my war games library soon...
Cheers,
Ion
Very curious to see the final result. I have some 1/600 ACW models from Thoroughbred that are languishing and I need to do something with them and there are a ton of interesting STL files for the period so I’ll keep my eyes open for your final product. Best, Michael
Hi there Ion,
As books go a lot of material is already available for this - I just need to tidy it up and bring it up to date. The three new battles will be fun, I just need to build the ships for two of them!
Soon will be early next year methinks but who knows?
Consider yourself as being in standby mode!
All the best,
DC
Hello there Michael,
I hope that when it comes out you will feel inspired enough to do something with those rather lovely Thoroughbred models.
Here’s hoping!
All the best,
DC
Post a Comment