Thursday 30 July 2015

One Hour Wargames

  
                                       

                                               A One Hour Wargame? Certainly works for me!

I finally got around to acquiring a copy of the above - and I am very pleased I did! I am not going to repeat the umpteen reviews that have featured across the blogosphere - instead I will limit myself to my own observations. I am very excited about the potential of this book as I believe that in making the rules as simple as he has done so the author has suceeded in furnishing a really good framework to build in additional features. I have no problem with the concept of small armies fighting on a small playing area and taking modest amounts of time to do so. All of this works really well for me and my wargaming circumstances in many ways - cost, time to acquire the forces and paint them, available time etc. The mechanics are simple and the accompanying designers notes are quite logical in the context of what he has set out to achieve. At this stage the only obvious thing I can think to apply is to expand the number of troop types per period from 4 to 6 as this would allow a more rounded coverage for a given period. Of course these would the need to be factored in to the rules but such is the simplicity of the basic engine that this should not be a problem.

The one thing that struck me though was that I have not even thought about hexes....;-)

14 comments:

The Good Soldier Svjek said...

An excellent set of rules ! , Tony

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

Having read the rules very thoroughly whilst on our recent cruise, I was struck by how easy they would be to convert to use with hexes. I haven't done much wargaming as such recently at home, but these rules might well make a quick game possible.

All the best,

Bob

John Lambshead said...

This book is a best seller. Seriously thinking of getting it.

David Manley said...

I'm planning to run some ECW games using these. Mind you I have been planning to do so for months now!

Paul O'G said...

Its been on my to get list for awhile now

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

"I have not even thought about hexes..." by jove, he's cured!! :o))

I think the book is a cracker and I haven't even read the rules, the scenario's are worth the price of the book alone... DG (my regular opponent) and I will be embarking on #3 within the next week... small scenario's, limited army size, are perfect 1/. for Skype games, and 2/. for trying out rules modifications to what ever set you use...

David Crook said...

Hi Mr Kitchen,

I am very pleased to have gotten a copy at last - better late than never!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Bob,

I can certainly see where you are coming from in respect of hexes although oddly enough they were not the first thing I thought of in this case! They will make for a very quick game though which is great for us time restricted types.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi John,

Worth every penny but it is a shame there does not appear to be a hardback version - which I would have gladly paid extra for!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David Crook said...

Hi David,

Suffice it to say I have been inspired in various intriguing directions by this book although as yet not by the ECW. However, the forthcoming visit to Tiverton Castle may change that....;-)

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Paul,

Certainly one for the collection old chap! Seriously though, it is worth it for the scenarios alone never mind the rules (which are really inspring in an old school kind of way).

All the best,

DC

Natholeon said...

Hi David
In terms of boosting the number of troop types there are plenty of variants suggested on the yahoo AMW group. I've done some playing around myself to create some Sengoku era Samurai rules to try out, and I'm currently planning to begin a Great Northern War mini-campaign. I'm haven't been disappointed with Neil Thomas' offerings yet.

David Crook said...

Hi Natholeon,

I checked out the group and am very pleased I did so! There is much there to inspire and as the core system is so sound it will happilt appear to take any amount of add ons and tinkering.

Much to play with methinks.

All the best,

DC