Sunday 5 July 2015

Going forth with Mimi and Toutou

OK so lets see how this goes:

Purchase copy of Dave Manley's WW1 gunboat naval battle rules called Steamer Wars from the Wargames Vault - CHECK
Find a copy of Charles Miller's Battle for the Bundu about the WW1 East African campaign at a price that is not going to cause a major domestic trauma - CHECK

Pause and stare enigmatically into the middle distance as though thinking deep and profound thoughts of epoch-shaping significance.....

Chase down a couple of other cheapy titles on the campaign - including Mimi and Toutou go Forth by Giles Foden and the inevitable Ospreys on the period (see notes above re potential domestic trauma) - CHECK

Look longingly at the pictures of Dave Manley's collection for the Lake Tanganyika campaign and think...."I could do that".....

Order the models from Tumbling Dice (all six of them) and think about Madasahatta, the African Queen and Shout at the Devil and the unlikely film version of Geoffrey Spicer-Simpson and his adventures with Mimi and Toutou starring Rowan Atkinson - who if this ever got off the ground would be superb in the role!

I told you I had come back from holiday suitably incpired....;-)


6 comments:

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

David,

This is sounding very encouraging!

I scratch-built my model of Mimi, Toutou, and Kingani using ship's boats from some old Aiirfix 1:600th-scale model warships.

All the best,

Bob

alastair said...

I've been thinking about this too...ever since I picked up a copy of Giles Foden's book.

David Crook said...

Hi Bob,

I had considered the scratchbuilt route but sadly time will not allow. I would be keen to see your models though and I am also thinking to give your rules for the campaign a spin in due course.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Alastair,

It is inspiring and with the right mix of adventure, heroism, eccentricity and sheer bonkersness!

Right up my street then....;-)

All the best,

DC

Prince Lupus said...

Wonderful story that had to be true because on one would be barmy enough to make it up! Tip and Run is also worth a read.

David Crook said...

Hi Prince,

Tip and Run is in my library primed and ready to go! In all seriousness though, the sheer bare-faced cheek of the operation makes it irresistable for me to tackle. I will want to add some other ships to the collection though so watch this space for future developments.

All the best,

DC