Friday 14 April 2023

An ‘Old West’ Result


Buffalo Bill and his Wild West show

Freecycle - at least the Rayleigh chapter - is proving to be a real success for me! Laurel was checking her emails and saw a full set of the the above being given away. Was I interested? Absolutely! An enthusiastic nod of the head from me, a quick exchange of emails and a ten minute car drive later - I became the proud owner of a complete set of the Time Life series ‘The Old West’! There was even the introductory free poster neatly folded inside one of the volumes!

It was free - that’s right - free!


“Gonna need a bigger bookcase!”

This was very much a target of opportunity and certainly was not something I was looking out for but, when life gives you lemons and all that! Seriously though, this is a cracking set and will give plenty of inspiration for not only Western gunfights but also such things as US Cavalry actions as well as Guerrilla style combat during the American Civil War, even the Mexican War. 

The set consists of 26 volumes and the titles of these are as follows:

The Pioneers
The Gamblers
The Railroaders
The Gunfighters
The Texans
The Frontiersmen
The Rivermen
The Forty-Niners
The Cowboys
The Mexican War
The Alaskans
The Loggers
The Ranchers
The Townsmen
The Miners
The Chroniclers
The Scouts
The Soldiers
The Women
The Great Chiefs
The Indians
The Expressmen
The Trailblazers
The Canadians
The Spanish West
The End and the Myth


The above two volumes are duplicates so should anyone want them - The Indians and The Great Chiefs - let me know. I do not want anything for them, just cover any shipping.

You may recall mentioning that I had previously missed out on a full set of the American Civil War series a couple of years ago from the same source. Whilst this is no substitute it certainly a great collection to own and one that I am sure I will make use of.

Now to source a couple of dozen gunfight figures - luckily I have rules aplenty to choose from!



4 comments:

Tony Adams said...

A wonderful acquisition and free too... I have the full set that I bought on subscription when they were first published in the 70's...they were expensive !!!!....so you have got a great deal...Regards.

David Crook said...

Hi Tony,

I have been leafing through it and it is a goldmine of inspiration and ideas. I remember the various Time Life sets were on a subscription basis - the one I am after is the ACW set, and I have a couple of ‘irons in the fire’ so to speak.

It was a great deal for sure!

All the best,

DC

Aly Morrison said...

A truly splendid and delightfully free acquisition…

All the the best. Aly

David Crook said...

Hi there Aly,

There is some gloriously ‘pulp’ style paintings contained therein - all garish colours and totally OTT but cracking fun all the same. I reckon a couple of dozen gunfighters may be on the cards so let’s see what I can get at Salute!

Yes, free is a great price for sure!

All the best,

DC