Thursday 6 April 2023

Samurai Cavalry


Zvezda Samurai Cavalry looking suitably ferocious and soon to be joining the contents of the Shogun board game 

The relentless domestic round continues this week but the end is in sight. Essentially we had our downstairs cloakroom refurbished to make it more accessible for Laurel. Aside from the physical work required in the cloakroom itself we also decided to decorate the utility room which involved new flooring, new sockets and switches (luckily my son is a ‘sparky’) and lots of white paint as well as a new washing machine and freezer (7 and 18 years old respectively). In both cases it meant much moving of ‘stuff’ around the house and a tip run. I have also given the lawn its first mow of the year and have jet washed the patio.

Anyways, enough of my labours and on with the good stuff!

Aside from finishing the four ironclads I have also been thinking about the Samurai project and so took the plunge and have ordered two boxes of the above which will give me 34 cavalry - more than enough for my needs. Once they arrive I will post some pictures but I already have it on very good authority that they fit in well with the Shogun board game figures.

I also need to finish the write up for my refight of Operation Market Garden which was a lot of fun to do and has given me a few other things to think about.

Like I need anything else to do….. :-)


13 comments:

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

David,

What you need is a holiday!

It sounds as if you have been very busy doing very necessary domestic jobs … and have rather put some of us to shame. (I did begin cutting my lawn … and then the skies opened and it didn’t stop raining for hours!)

All the best,

Bob

Archduke Piccolo said...

It's all go at the mouse factory, David - plenty to keep one indoors and off street corners...

Steve J. said...

We want to redecorate parts of the house, but with our kids still at home, we simply don't have the space to move stuff about. Frustrating but a good excuse to put things off for a bit too! Looking forward to your Market Garden write up as it's always been a favourite of mine ever since I read 'A Bridge Too Far' back in the day.

Donnie McGibbon said...

Busy times David!! Looking forward to see what the Samurai cavalry look like, I never really consider 1/72 for gaming and I am missing out on a lot of good stuff. From previous posts your ironclads are looking grand after their re-fit.

David Crook said...

Hi Bob,

I forgot to add a visit to the hospital for an X-ray, organising a trip to the vets and arranging for the collection of some equipment.

I am technically on holiday but it certainly does not feel like it!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Archduke,

You can say that again…..but don’t!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Steve J,

We have the space to move bits around but it is the disruption that is wearing! We have only just gotten back to normal today after nearly two weeks all told.

Getting back to Market Garden will be a welcome relief for sure!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Donnie,

Thank you re the ironclads! I have always had a soft spot for 1:72nd as a scale going back to my early days with Airfix figures. I will post pictures of the Samurai when they arrive.

All the best,

DC

Aly Morrison said...

Nice to see you are putting your feet up and chilling out…. 😂🤣😂
I have had a quiet day today but I fear the rest of the bank holiday will involve a lot of running about getting things ready for the builders to come back and make more dust……

All the best old chap…Aly

Mark Cordone said...

I've just managed to get my hands on a copy of Shogun for a reasonable price and also have some of the Zvezda figures. I think the figures from the game will paint up really nice, maybe I'll take a break from my Hyborian age armies after I finish Argos and do a Samurai army. The game board and cards have both wargaming and RPG possibilities as well.

David Crook said...

Hi Aly,

If only! I am feeling pretty knackered but you know how it is - the show must go on and all that!

Good luck with the builders and remember, the dust gets EVERYWHERE!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Mark,

It is not only a great game in its own right but the figures are really useful as well - what a shame they did not include a mounted figure!

Aside from Zvezda you might want to take a look at Red Box - they have Ninja, peasants, monks and artillery!

Your Argos army should feature red - everyone in the UK will get the joke… :-)

All the best,

DC

Mark Cordone said...

I have boxes of all of them! Some of the Argos troops have some red, but in keeping with the info in Royal Armies shades of purple dominate.