Sunday 30 April 2023

Mustangs in the Avalon Hill General


The first of two issues of the General featuring Mustangs


This edition certainly packs a lot of Mustangs related goodies!

Gamers of a certain vintage will no doubt be familiar with the house magazine of the Avalon Hill Game Company - the General. Over the course of some thirty plus volumes the General covered all things Avalon Hill related - optional and additional rules, scenarios, analysis and turn by turn refights. 

When I acquired my copy of Mustangs initially I had not thought about the General but thanks to the Aerial Wargames and the Avalon Hill groups on Facebook I was introduced to the following website:

View From The Trenches - Britain’s Premier ASL Journal

Although designed for gamers of Advanced Squad Leader it also has the complete back catalogue of the General in PDF format.

David Manley messaged me and very kindly emailed two key editions of the General that have really expanded the base game beyond recognition. There are scenarios and a whole raft of additional aircraft types which are really going to give me plenty of variety. Needless to say my reading list has increased significantly but that is not a problem as I am still waiting for my additional aircraft to arrive from Heroics and Ros.

I would certainly recommend the above website whatever Avalon Hill games you play - I am sure that there is something for everybody!

5 comments:

Ed M said...

The complete run of the general is also available on the internet archive.

David Crook said...

Hi Ed M,

Thank you kindly! There appears to be a few places where the General is available on the net - I am embarrassed that it has taken me so long to realise!

All the best,

DC

Martin Rapier said...

What a great resource, thanks! I have a huge pile of Generals up in the attic, but I'm still missing plenty of key ones.

David Crook said...

Hi Martin,

It is an absolute goldmine of stuff! All I need now is the same for the Boardgamer magazine which I believe was a separate follow on magazine.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Stevewargamer,

Many thanks for the pointer - I have already seen it and have hoovered up a whole pile of downloads for the game! WW1, and Korea along with WW2 - there is choice aplenty so I now have absolutely no excuse for not taking the system by the scruff of the next and getting some games in.

All the best,

DC