Tuesday 7 August 2012

Galley Three - and not a Time Lord in sight!


OK, so there is more than three Galleys in the picture but that was the best I could come up with under the circumstances!

Well I didn't see that one coming! Readers of the blog will no doubt be aware of the great swathe of Command and Colours Ancients blocks I have recently acquired from the indefatigable Mr Tim Gow of Megablitz and More fame Megablitz and More. During the course of this project I have mentioned on a couple of occasions my desire to tackle the Salamis campaign - mainly on the back of Richard Nelson's excellent wargames book on the subject and the superb work by Barry Strauss that also covers the battle and campaign. With the Command and Colours blocks at my disposal I was sure that the land aspect would be easily covered and I had in my possession a very good set of hex based naval rules, again by Richard nelson and published by WRG back in the early 1970s - not to mention a very good Fire and Fury inspired set designed by Dave Manley. The only thing I was missing was suitable models. I looked at 1/1200th and also the new 1/2400th scale range produced by Tumbling Dice but had more or less settled on the larger scale as being more useful for the scale of action I would be fighting.

Then guess what happened.

Mr Gow mentioned, almost as a throwaway comment, that he had a whole pile of 1/1200th scale ancient galleys (mostly Navwar) sitting around doing t'nowt (I think that is how they say it in Mr G's hometown!) and would I be interested in taking them off his hands?

Errr, is the Pope Catholic?

In a trice the deal was done and so a whole pile of 1/1200th scale ancients galleys will be winging its way to Maison Crook for my usually less than tender mercies.

I really don't know why I ever bother making plans for projects etc simply because they never seem to pan out the way you intend - this is now the Q4 project and as luck would have it, I am heading to the Navwar shop on Saturday so expect some further news in due course.

Just as well the blocks will all be ready first as the galleys will have to follow on behind.

I reckon watching 300 again will give me some period specific feel and inspiration, albeit more HOTTs than DBA!

12 comments:

Tim Gow said...

Actually the residents of my hometown* are more likely to say 'daein nuthin'.

*Dundee.

Sean said...

Wow, that is a stroke of luck. It will be good to see this come together.

David Crook said...

Hi Tim,

I had forgotten about your origins in Scotland! I guess the sentiment applies equally in any language though....;-)

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Sean,

For a change I have the land side more or less ready to go and the ships are all that will be needed.

It is something a little different so I shall see just how long I can maintain the enthusiasm for it!

All the best,

DC

Corporal_Trim said...

That's a stroke of good fortune with the galleys, David. I look forward to seeing your fleets assembled.

Which 300 ? The 1962 version or 2006 ?

Regards,
Steve

David Crook said...

Hi Steve,

It certainly is a piece of good fortune! I was talking about the 2006 version although the earlier one is on my 'to watch' list as, believe it or not, I have never seen it!

All the best,

DC

Corporal_Trim said...

Hi, David. Haven't seen the '62 version in quite some time, but I can assure you it's better than the over-the-top cartoon we got in 2006. Shouldn't be too hard to find on DVD.

Regards,
Steve

David Crook said...

Hi Steve,

I will keep an eye out for it. I must confess that I enjoyed the 2006 for its sheer over the top value - as I said, more HOTTS than DBA!

All the best,

DC

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Are you going to use David Manley's Greek Fire and Roman Fury rules?

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Psst ... I watched the 2006 version of 300 yesterday and I have to admit "I share your shame" at really enjoying it

I was a bit upset at all those Spartan's breaking ranks and 'show boating' in individual combats

I thought the first locked shields phalanx fighting in the narrows of the Hot Gates the best bit - a good bit of "tactical shoving". Pity they didn't show a fake Spartan retreat that turned into an attack

The only one liner they seemed to miss from Leonadis was the classic to his Queen on departure when she asked: "What would you have me do Lord" to which his reply was "Choose a good man and bear sons" (a bit non-PC I know)

David Crook said...

Hi Geordie,

DMs set are certainly in the mix although I have around a dozen to choose from! To begin with I have a neat DBA variant which looks like fun so we will see in due course.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Geordie,

I can't help thinking that 300 is crying out for some HOTTs treatment rather than DBA - that would be something to see!

Hokum yes, but very entertaining hokum all the same!

All the best,

DC