Tuesday 14 August 2012

Mistakes(?) and Moving On....


I like to think that is true of me although some may question the 'Honourable' tag!

They say it takes a big man to own up and admit his mistakes and to then hold himself up to scorn or ridicule even. They also say that there is no fool like an old fool. Assuming that both of these are true then I am guilty as charged on both counts but it is alright and I can take the blows that will come. I have gained a reputation over the years of perhaps being a victim of my own mercurial imagination; of flitting from period to period in an extreme case of 'oooh shiny'. The usual Modus Operandi is for me to hit on a period as being the next best thing, spend a lot of time, effort, energy and cold ahrd cash in pursuit of the same and then I hit the wall. The wall being either a newer distraction or me just going cold on the idea altogether or even going cold on how I am planned to execute the idea, which is more usually the case.
 
This has happened with the 54mm NW Frontier collection. I am now not going to do anything with this and so the entire collection has gone to a new home with the proceeds being used for that which is more immediately achievable. I want to tackle the events in the Roghan Valley, of that there is no doubt and so the idea is firmly established - it is merely a case of the execution. The blocks will feature initially and in time, should I feel the need, figures of one type or another may appear.
 
The same has also applied to the various plastic 1/1200th warship kits I have - and with the same result as the 54mms. It is perhaps a mistake to try and rekindle the exploits of wargames past because it is never the same experience the second time around. I suppose the analogy of not revisiting the scene of the crime applies to an extent and so I doubt that I will ever be able to replicate those dramatic naval battles of 30 odd years ago - at least not in the same way. Perhaps it is a mistake to even try but it is a mistake we could all be guilty of.
 
I should have learned from both C and C Ancients and Napoleonics - these are periods that I have played in the past in a 'conventional' fashion using figures. Now I playing them in an 'unconventional' fashion using blocks so the experience will be the same but the execution will be different. My block based games are probably a good example of how I have 'moved on' from my model based adventures and whilst they will never replace figures they give me that critical ability to be able to indulge my far reaching military fantasies at the drop of a hat. Perhaps the same could also be true of naval games and so why not go the full distance and merely board game? I don't want to go down that path despite all the advantages it presents me with - I want to use models in some capacity after all - because despite my aversion to figure painting I still think using models is visually the best way to fight a battle.
 
Is this a cop out from spending ages carefully painting models to use on the table top? Perhaps, but then for me it is a solution to what has been a problem of many years standing. The ancients sets will enable me to fight anything from 500 BC to 500 AD whilst the Napoleonic sets will, in time, enable me to game just about anything mainstream from the Napoleonic wars. To contemplate doing this using models of any scale would be a substantial undertaking and too large for my limited attention span! My own home made blocks will fill in the rest. By using my generic blocks I have managed to play more solo games in a year than I had managed in the preceding decade so clearly I must be doing something right!
 
For the foreseeable future then, my only painting then will be of ships, aircraft and vehicles - with the occasional foray into science fiction.
 
I would not say I have given up on figures per se; it is more a case of the fact that for my immediate requirements I actually do not need any, which is not the same thing at all.

"The show must go on!"

Again.

20 comments:

Mosstrooper said...

Think we all make wargaming mistakes - my own closet is full to overflowing with 'wargaming skeletons'

Brian Carrick said...

I have long envied those rare individuals who have the forethought to plan and build an army in one period/one scale and the discipline to see it through to completion but how dull would it be if we were all like that?

Best wishes, Brian

The Angry Lurker said...

It happens to us all but we grow from it...well sometimes we do!

Tim Gow said...

If we were afraid of ridicule we wouldn't be engaging in this ridiculous hobby in the first place! Anyway, the advantage of having access to a wide circle of the like minded is that there is always someone even more deluded who'll take an unfinished project off your hands. So I've heard...

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

As someone with some what more than my own fair share of enthusiastic not to say impetuous changes of course and false starts, I say
"how would you know if you didn't try?"

As for the miniatures, for all that I like both painting and playing with them, they have no moral value, esp not the painting part. Easy enough to buy painted figures, or have them painted and some like playing with unpainted plastic but if the traditional blocks give you enjoyment another adage applies: "Go with what works"

David Crook said...

Hi Mosstrooper,

That is very true but it still gives rise to the 'wince factor' - still, it is good to know my foibles are not unique!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Brian,

Do you know what? I do not think I have ever met such an individual in my 35 years of wargaming! It would be interesting to find out if such a worthy exists and if he or she does then I would happily take my hat off to them!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Fran,

Sometimes - that could be the anthem for the doomed generation....;-)

All the besr,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Tim,

That is very true - let me know when you have met him pleaase?

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Ross,

I am fast coming to the conclusion that merely saying 'it works for me' it not enough - I need to really start believing it.

I like the idea of figures of course I do but building up armies of the same just does not do it for me anymore - if truth be told then perhaps it never did.

I suppose my games can best be described as 3d board games and I am comfortable with that and point to the number I have been able to play.

The hobby is large enough to allow for me and the blocks because all it is is the same train but a different carriage.

All the best and thanks,

DC

Peter Douglas said...

DC

Been there, done that, got the basement full of "honour" awards.

Cheers

PD

Unknown said...

It's all a matter of balance grasshopper. What I find is the block armies are good for the giant battles and other armies good for the meelee and skirmish stuff. Everybody bounces around. The key is to try and stay small regarding numbers so blocks and boardgame markers have their advantage when trying new periods. Paul and me are writing about this very thing in our book. It takes a real man to admit his mistake and you can't drive a parked car mate!
Jeff

Ray Rousell said...

Far too many mistakes from my end. Why did I buy Romans and Carthaginian's and spend years painting the buggers up and have no inclination whatsoever to play a game with them, the list goes on!!!

David Crook said...

Hi Peter,

I take solace from the fact I am not the only one so afflicted!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Jeff,

....or make a silk purse from a box of AIP plastic 54mm British Infantry - at least I can't!

The whole 'block thing' has really struck a chord with my gaming aspirations and whilst it is not to everybody's taste it just ticks so many boxes for me.

I am very interested in your book and would be more than happy to help if needed.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Ray,

Did you say Romans and Carthaginians? What scale? How many? How much?

....and so it goes on....

....and on....;-)

All the best,

DC

PatG said...

To shorten up a much longer reply. I often play with top down counters for reasons of economy and portability. I like miniatures but prefer to limit my figures to those units or figures I have a strong connection to.

For me the game is the thing over the models used to play it. In a good fight I can get as involved in pushing mdf counters around as 3D figures.

War gaming is a hobby not a career so as long as you are having fun, you are doing it right.

David Crook said...

Hi Pat G,

You have hit the nail on the head with that one for sure! I have been having fun pursuing my own piece of the hobby and what the heck? If it feels good, then do it!

As long as the feel is right then how you get there should not matter.

I am slowly coming to terms with that!

All the best,

DC

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

I am watching this space for a U turn ;)

Or is this just the hoader in me that "gathers things"

Enjoy the hobby whatever David :)

David Crook said...

Hi Geordie,

As I get older the embarrassment factor gets larger and you would think I would have learned by now! I am fast coming to the conclusion that a block in the hand is worth several figures on the paint tray!

For the record I never U Turn - I merely realign....;-)

All the best,

DC