Friday 8 February 2013

Stonewall Figures 1:2400th WW1 Ships....Part 1

My order from Stonewall is still being cast and so I thought I would post up some pictures of of what I have so far. These are the German ships from the collection although I am still waiting on some of the missing codes. The models are basic in respect of detail but as gaming pieces are ideal. To begin with there are no separate turrets unlike C in C and GHQ which is no bad thing in my opinion. Similarly there are no pole masts although this could easily be rectified if required. I have previously described these models as being like 1:3000th scale ships on steroids and I think that is probably as good a description as I can think of. The castings do need a little cleaning up - the capital ships have a noticeable mould line - but certainly nothing drastic with these - unlike the RN types currently being replaced. To be honest, these are cheap and cheerful models which will probably not suit the scale modeller but I defy you to get similar scaled models from anywhere else at the price! I am looking forward to tackling this lot and no mistake and so the rest of the collection can't come soon enough!

As far as the detail of these models is concerned in respect of accuracy they are pretty close to what they should be unless you are a rivet counting purist - in which case I suggest you look away now!

I have taken pictures of each of the models with their associated catalogue number and alongside a ruler so you can get an idea of the size.

Stonewall Figures 1:2400 scale WW1 German Ships


Derflinger - SS206


Konig Class - SS204



Kaiser Class - SS203


Helgoland Class - SS202 


Westfalen Class - SS201


Breslau Class - SS210 (2 of these in a pack)


Konigsberg Class (later type) - SS209 (again, 2 of these in a pack) 


T Class Destroyer - SS211 (4 of these in a pack)

Apologies for not lining up the model with the edge of the ruler! As you can see then, these are pretty fair representations of what they should be and the apparent lack of scale model detail should not prove to be a handicap for what are in effect gaming pieces.

I am really looking forward to organising the four fleets and am going to turn both the historical Royal Navy and High Seas Fleet into something based on their actual counterparts rather than just as they were. This will enable me to add in some personal touches and will be in keeping with the 'imagi-nation' basis for the fleet compositions.

8 comments:

Battlescale said...

I really like those David. Detailed enough for my needs and a good scale to game with. I look forward to your new arrivals!

All the best,
Steve

David Crook said...

Hiya Stokie Steve,

They certainly have a little more 'presence' on the table top which is an important consideration especially for the smaller ships. They may not win any prizes for super detailed accuracy but they are more than adequate for my needs. In time I shall also take a look at the WW2 range which is far more comprehensive.

I will post pics of the other models when they arrive which I hope will be soon.

All the best,

DC

Peter Douglas said...

DC

These are quite nice. Any way of adding some pole masts to add to them in profile?

Cheers
PD

David Crook said...

Hi Peter,

There are no obvious holes for drilling out but having said that it should be easy enough to place them where applicable.

All the best,

DC

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

Very nice looking model and not the least like the indistinct 'blobs' that I was expecting to see.

I suspect that you are going to have a lot of fun with these!

All the best,

Bob

David Crook said...

Hi Bob,

These are big enough to see but small enough to look right in terms of the table size I am using and yes, I shall be having a LOT of fun with these!

The light cruiser Breslau is a lovely model with the 4.1" guns very clearly defined. I also have a soft spot for the Derflinger as well - it is a lovely model.

All the best,

DC

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Nice eye candy

David Crook said...

Hi Geordie,

Will this be tempting you into 1:2400th to go with your other scales?

They are not bad and at a price that would be hard to argue with.

All the best,

DC