Saturday 31 January 2015

Closing in on the big finish....Part 3

I had hoped to have had the remaining German ships completed for this weekend but the fates have conspired against me. If you recall I was a little concerned about how dark the German ships were looking and I was right to be so as when placed alongside the other ideas the difference was noticeable. Then I remembered that originally I had added a further lighter dry brush to the first batch and with the current models I had forgotten to do so. Luckily it was easily resolved by the application of a very careful and lighter grey dry brush. Of course this also meant a further coat of varnish so I decided to tackle the dreadnought bases first before finishing the pre dreadnoughts. A minor delay but nothing major.

I will completely finish the dreadnoughts - including the waves, wakes, names and ensigns before spending any more time on the pre dreadnoughts. I shall be able to make some progress with these but it now looks like the great photo shoot will take place a week later than planned.

4 comments:

Conrad Kinch said...

Splendid stuff David. How long do you think it will be before you get a game with them?

David Crook said...

Hi Mr Kinch,

I am hoping to have a knockabout fairly soon - more in the nature of a play test than anything else. I shall be pleased to have the fleet review if only because it means they are finished and I can think about something else for a while!

All the best,

DC

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

From memory, I cannot decide if British Dreadnoughts painted were painted darker than the German ones (I think they were)?

David Crook said...

Hi Geordie,

You are absolutely right - although my Germans, whilst lighter than the RN, are still probably a little darker than they should be.

That is the trouble using only 3 out of 50 shades of grey....;-)

All the best,

DC