Wednesday 27 May 2020

Colonial Thoughts


Red coated chaps, Victorian liveried warships, camels and the desert - what’s not to like?

I am not sure that this would really qualify as a Colonial war as such although later events after the invasion certainly did! I picked up a copy of the above book from a branch of the Works a couple of years ago but have been unable to lay my hands on it. With this in mind I secured another copy as not only is it a really good read but it also provides some valuable background for one of my 1:600th plans.

Armed with the above and a copy of the Portable Colonial Wargame there is a lot of potential for a nifty set up and certainly the troops will look the part with the all white Egyptians offset by the red coated British. I have a whole pile of really useful scenic items courtesy of Brigade Games and even some palm trees. Scratch building the naval side would be fun although it would be very much on the basis of what might have been rather than what actually took place.

Something different to think about.

8 comments:

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

David,

It’s a very interesting campaign, and formed the basis of my original Zubian games.

I look forward to seeing how you take this forward.

All the best,

Bob

David Crook said...

Hi Bob,

If I am honest it was your Zubian adventures that drew me to this in the first place! I am kicking around a few ideas for it and rest assured - the Portable Colonial Wargame will be featuring at some point.

All the best,

DC

Jim Duncan Wargamer said...

Ordered the Kindle version last night.

Hope to start reading tonight although I'm often straight to sleep as I'm knackered after slabbing and cement and sanding all morning and half the afternoon. I would normally do it all day but then I'm an old man now.

Hope its a good read.

Steve J. said...

I look forward to see what you do with this project, as I have treated myself to Bob's book. The plan is to game it in 10mm at present, with figures that have been in the pile for far too long.

David Crook said...

Hi Jim,

You will certainly enjoy it and after having spent all day painting the lounge (and therefore up and down a ladder) I am not feeling too chipper myself!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Steve J,

The 1:600th collection has been sitting around for too long as well but I suppose it has the advantage of being a smaller pile!

Bob’s book is really good and has plenty of inspiration for you!

All the best,

DC

Scott said...

Last February here in the states before Covid19, someone ran a Battle of Tel El Kebir in 15mm using "The Men who would be kings" rules. It ended in a major British defeat. I don't see the British assaulting trench lines without suffering horrific losses. It was fun to game though.

David Crook said...

Hi Scott,

The thing that struck me about this campaign was that although it did not last long it was most certainly not a walkover. I would expect that assaulting trench lines at anytime is never a great move!

All the best,

DC