Wednesday 11 November 2020

Walk Like an Egyptian....


A very attractive paper model of the C.S.S. Stonewall 

 First of all many thanks to all for the kind words in respect of my brother and his family. There is little or no change to speak of in respect of my brother although his partner and their son are definitely on the mend. As I am sure you can imagine, fingers are still firmly crossed.


Note the ram bow and the forward firing gun port. There were two others on either beam of the armoured fore castle


The model from the Thouroughbred Miniatures range

In the meantime though, I spent some time reorganising my ships that are currently under construction. There are now three. Originally there were two but I decided to add a further model to the Confederate part. The plan was to build H.M.S. Wyvern (after she had been taken into the Royal Navy, originally ordered by the Confederates under the cover name El Monassir - for the Egyptian navy - and to be renamed C.S.S. Mississippi upon delivery) but I had a change of heart and have instead opted to build a pair of models based on the C.S.S. StonewallIn keeping with the Egyptian cover story the Stonewall Jackson and her sister were ordered as the Sphinx and the Cheops.

I say ‘based upon’ for these models intentionally as they are not going to be exact replicas. 

My Confederate navy will be a mix of types - some more historical than others - and by adding some ships that were ordered but not actually delivered for one reason or another it will help to even the odds slightly. Besides, the models look too good to ignore - that is my story and I am sticking to it!


Profile view with the full sailing rig. When used inshore the rig would probably have been reduced


A diagram showing the pivot based gun arrangement in the bow and the aft fixed turret.

The curious thing about the C.S.S. Stonewall was that although she looks like she has a turret in actual fact she does not. The circular structure aft of the funnel was designed to house two guns that could be moved around internally on rails to face in the required direction. The guns were muzzle loading so would have to have been ‘run in’ to be reloaded and could then be redeployed as the situation required. Similarly the single forward mounted gun could fire directly ahead - useful when launching a ramming attack - or either port or starboard. Strangely enough, and I stand to be corrected, the 1:600th scale model available from Thoroughbred Miniatures appears to have a turret with the two gun barrels poking out facing forward. Everything I have seen about this ship points at the circular casemate idea rather than a turret so that will be the option I go for.

So the Rebels will be gaining a couple of armoured rams to operate against the Yankees which will certainly add to the fun.

The C.S.S. Stonewall has an eventful career, as did her sister, and if you click on the link above you can see exactly how.

2 comments:

Steve J. said...

Fingers and toes firmly crossed for your bother and his family David. A nice ship that is certainly different for a naval novice such as myself. As I'm currently reading about the 2nd Schleswig-Holstein War, any interesting ships, boats etc pique my interest due to the naval aspect of this conflict. Keep up the good work:)

David Crook said...

Hi Steve J,

Thanks old chap - my brother is currently still in the same state of decrepitude which I guess at least means that for the moment he is no worse.

It is a very intersteing period of naval history for sure.

All the best,

DC