Friday 26 October 2012

Jutland....And it goes like this....

File:SMS Seydlitz2.jpg

SMS Seydlitz at sea

I had a bit of a sort out of the various pieces of Jutland material I have in an attempt to add a little order to the chaos. The first thing that dawned on me was that the rules effectively are in two parts. There is the rather nifty strategic map movement system and the all important tactical set for the battles thus generated. I pondered this for all of a nano-second and have decide that the tactical rules tidy up should come first and then the strategic dimension can come later. The big advantage of doing this is that I will be able to fight battles much sooner than envisaged.

I also have a whole raft of additional ship counters I can download and stick to the blocks including missing ships from the RN and High Seas Fleet, the Baltic Russians and also a selection of ships for (and this will be dear to the heart of Mr Fox) Coronel and the Falklands.

Whilst this tidy up is ongoing I can give some thought to the models I want to use eventually and my thoughts at the present time are leaning towards 1/3000th - purely because you just about get everything you are ever likely to need and that will probably swing the decision.

For games using Sea Battles in Miniature though, I rather fancy 1/2400th, more of which later....;-)

Two scales for naval? Ho hum....


4 comments:

Bluebear Jeff said...

Panzerschiffe has a nice range of 1/2400 resin WWI ships at a lower cost than most 1/3000 metal ranges. You might well want to consider them.

http://www.panzerschiffe.com/Catalog.html


-- Jeff

David Crook said...

Hi Jeff,

The only problem I would envisage with this is the cost of shipping from the US but having said that, the range is really good.

All the best,

DC

Unknown said...

Swing over to my blog for some inspiration. Also the last Jutland post I made crashed and burnt into cyberspace ... Jeff

David Crook said...

Hi Jeff,

I 'swunf over' and was very impressed! Certainly your modelling skills are far in advance of mine in terms of attention to detail!

All the best,

DC