Saturday 12 January 2013

Aerial Progress and things to look forward to


The Roumanian IAR 80 - they gave the USAF P38s a torrid time at low altitude on more than one occasion

Work on the 109 Es continues - the masking tape for the green splinter camoflague is now in place but the paint is not as yet - and I have finally decided on the scheme I want to use. Using the film the Battle of Britain  as inspiration I shall paint up two Schwarms of four aircraft, one with yellow spinners and one with red. I had a bit of a brainwave in connection with the shield devices often seen on German fighters of the period to designate the Geschwader. I am thinking of using 15mm medieval shield decals and so will investigate what I can find that may be suitable. As you have probably guesssed, the German fighters I am painting will not be modelled on any specific formations but will be generic. I shall also be going for the generic option with the RAF fighters as well.

The best news though is that the new set (due in February) will contain some very interesting types including, so the rumours are running, the following:

  • P38
  • P39
  • P51 D
  • Spitfire Vb
  • Ki 43
  • Ju 87
  • Il 2
  • D 520
  • Corsair
  • IAR 80
This is all really encouraging and should serve to expand the possibilities for the set - especially for use with land based actions as the ground attack types will be greatly appreciated by any WW2 Gamers.

No sign of a Me 262 though, nor a Me 163 but then I suppose you can't have everything....;-)

6 comments:

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

The IAR 80! That is a model I will have to buy.

It is just what my Remanians will need in the forthcoming war with Rusland.

All the best,

Bob

Paul O'G said...

Some nice new planes to acquire there! Of course you'll need a kette of Stukas :-)

David Crook said...

Hi Bob,

I had a feeling that the IAR 80 might catch your eye! All we have to do is to wait on the official release info and due date.

I am very excited about this lot for sure!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Paul,

I reckon the the Stukas and the IL-2s will be in huge demand - luckily I will only need 4 of each....;-)

All the best,

DC

Steve said...

15mm medieval shield decals? Veni Vidi Vici...

David Crook said...

Hi Steve,

Good call and many thanks old chap! I think that Essex Miniatures stock these so I shall have a run over there to take a look (they are only about 10 minutes from me).

All the best,

DC