Wednesday 30 January 2013

Naval Estimates

Not my copy (mine is in a lot better condition I am happy to say!) but a great read all the same

I have spent some time over the last few days going through my naval library to get some inspiration for the composition of the forthcoming Fezian and Rusland navies. These will be assembled from part of the collection of 1:2400th scale models I am collecting this evening with the balance being used on a more historical basis. My naval library contains three volumes of Conway's Fighting Ships (1860 to 1905, 1906 to 1921 and 1922 to 1946) and copies of the 05 and 14 Jane's (pictured above) so having an excuse to dip into these was one that was hardly needed!

For sheer period charm then Jane's has to be a great choice - simply because of some of the less than flattering comments about certain ships, quoted with the the spirit of Victorian/Edwardian righteous indignation - rather like the 'disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' style of letter occasionally seen in the broadsheets.

I will certainly need to add to the collection but mercifully not by very much as it stands at present - certainly I could use some RN armoured cruisers and a selection of pre-dreadnought battleships would be useful. The great thing is that both Fezia and Rusland will not need to be very large in terms of numbers and what will be left over will more or less complete the planned set up for the historical RN and High Seas Fleet.

So armed with these titles, and several large mugs of tea, my plans have been slowly coalescing....;-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this book. Full of excellent info. I an going to post you privately later.
Jeff

David Crook said...

Hi Jeff,

Any book that has what became HMS Agincourt detailed under the Turkish Navy has a lot going for it in my opinion! Emailed response to follow yours.

All the best,

DC