Wednesday 26 May 2021

Five More and Fifty Not Out


From left to right a Union Frigate, two ‘old navy’ sloops and a war built sloop. The sole Confederate on the right is designed as a commerce raider inspired by the C.S.S. Alabama - the similar looking vessel alongside her is based on the U.S.S. Kearsage 

They took slightly longer than I expected but above are the latest additions to the ACW collection - five models in all meaning that I have reached fifty in total!

There are four ships for the Union and a single one for the Confederates. The three chequered looking ships with the rather natty white stripe around the hull, white gun ports and white masts represent what I like to think of as ‘old navy’. The larger of the three I shall be using as a frigate whilst the other two will be sloops. They are roughly the same size but there are some differences in the overall build. The frigate is five layers deep whereas the sloops are four. The rig for the sloops is also slightly lighter. 


The frigate (in the centre) has an extra layer of hull to her and her pivot artillery is mounted more towards the ships extremities than for the two sloops. Her rig is also slightly heavier

The number of gun ports is purely representational but overall looks pretty effective.


Hunter and hunted - just right for a dust up just off Cherbourg!

The other two are loosely based on the famous U.S.S. Kearsage and the Confederate commerce raider C.S.S. Alabama. These are later built ships and so are not only plainer looking but also have a reduced rig.

The remaining ten models for the build will be in two batches. The first of these will be started next and will consist of a pair of Union river ironclads whilst the Confederates will be getting a blockade runner and a gunboat. The final six - which are waiting on Warbases - will be a selection of gunboats for both sides.

I am really pleased with how these came out and they will help to round out my collection nicely. I have some ideas around the old naval wargaming standard of ‘Hunt the Raider’ so the ‘not quite’ C.S.S. Alabama will come in useful. Now that I have some blue water ships the potential for the collection is much greater. I also have the pair of C.S.S Stonewall types I can call upon as well. Some of the scenario ideas I am flirting with can be seen in the pictures below - there are two historical and one that based on an action from a different war but seemed kind of appropriate.


Day two of Hampton Roads with the frigate serving as the grounded U.S.S. Minnesota


One on one off the French Coast


An ironclad ram versus a frigate and two sloops - somewhere off the coast of South America. I doubt if either side will get victory handed on a plate....

So the collection now extends from the rivers to the high seas via the coast - there is a lot of good gaming to be had across this broad canvas and I intend making sure that I do!

6 comments:

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

David,

Yet again, you have created a very impressive number of additions collection of ships, and it was nice to see them grouped for possible scenarios.

The masts look particularly good, combining strength with elegance. I also like the deck guns you have built for these models.

I hope to see them in action very soon.

All the best,

Bob

David Crook said...

Hello there Bob,

I am pleased with extending the collection to cover the high seas as well as in broadens the scope for games in an area that I had not really thought about.

The masts have worked out really nicely and in due course I shall be using the same technique for the age of sail - obviously with the sails!

The deck guns look the part and are well suited to represent the whole pivot gun mount that became popular as the gus increased in size.

I am keen to get a game in at some point and the options I have taken pictures of show where my thoughts have been heading - away from the river for a change!

All the best,

DC

Aly Morrison said...

Splendid sir...
A beautiful forest of masts indeed...

I am looking forward to seeing your games with these...

All the best. Aly

James Fisher said...

More marvellous ships David. They sit well alongside your existing beauties.
Regards, James

David Crook said...

Hello there Aly,

It has been a long road to get to this point and there are but 10 more models to go. Originally I was going to build this batch last of all but I am glad I brought them forward. I have a lot of ideas fo games involving the masted ships and indeed, there are still a couple more to be built to add to the fun.

As we have a long weekend coming up I may well sneak a game in so watch this space!

All the best and many thanks,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi James,

Thank you old chap - much appreciated!

I am pleased I built these as it has helped to round out the collection and opened the door to some blue water naval action rather than just inland waterways and coastal. As an aside to this it has given me some ideas around pure age of sail types - obviously needing the sails - so that may something to explore in due course.

Meanwhile, there are ten left to go!

All the best,

DC