Tuesday 27 December 2011

To Bismarck, or not to Bismarck....That is the question...


What could any sane man possibly want with three Ark Royals/Hoods/Bismarcks?

I am somewhat on the horns of a dilemma (again!). I have all the ships I need bar a couple for the Minifigs/BMC pre dreadnought Fezian and Rusland navies - certainly more than enough to be going on with; the extra models are purely to flesh out the selection available - so am in a position to crack on with the painting forthwith. The 1/1200th WW2 collection centred around the Airfix Sink the Bismarck set needs rather more in terms of additional models to be at the same level of readiness but could be pressed into service in a limited way should the need arise.


Definitely one for the mould - as near to a bog standard pre dreadnought configuration as you are likely to get!

The problem I have is one of my my own making in that I really want to have a go at home casting some of the Minifigs ships. This is fine but of course means that I will not be able to paint the key models being used as masters until the moulds have been made and tested. I intend experimenting with this just as soon as I am able although I will need to research the process further first of all.

The WW2 set up currently consists of three copies of the aforementioned Airfix set, a pair of Revell Duke of Yorks and a pair of Gneisenaus. I have a few potential additional acquisitions in mind for this from various sources but of course this will take some time to realise. I would prefer to have the entire collection in place before starting the  building and painting (I work far better this way rather than on an 'as you go' basis) so this means that at the present time I am at a little bit of an impasse in respect of which set up to pursue.

A further problem I have with the WW2 kit concerns rules - rather my own rules for the period as thus far they have not even been drafted. I have a shed load of WW2 naval rules that could be used so this really is not a problem as such although I would prefer to do my own thing if possible.

Taking all this into consideration I think that my path will look something like this:

  • Investigate home casting
  • Start making up the plastic kits (and painting them)
  • FINISH THE ACW MODELS!!!! - this should be first really!
Which ever way it pans out I will be in for some fun times and so the dilemma is really more along the lines of an embarrassment of riches - which is a very pleasant situation to be in when all is said and done!

4 comments:

David Manley said...

A suggestion - since no-one really needs three models of Bismark / Tirpitz (unless you want to model Bismarck in her variety of camo schemes) you could get one of the old Revell / Esci / Almark Scharnhorst or Gneisenaus and replace the 11" turrets with the 15" turrets and model Gneisenau in her "never-to-be-completed" refit guise.

David Crook said...

Hi Dave,

That was certainly part of the game plan BUT something has come along that has thrown a bit of a spanner into the works - only in a good way!

More to follow.

All the best,

DC

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

David

The Human Race has progressed (if that is the correct term) by following creative genius instead of "ought to do's list".

Follow your instincts and have fun (and third degree burns, make sure the cat is safely out of harms way)

;)

PS Remember don't breath in the fumes

David Crook said...

Hi Geordie,

I am itching to start on the 1935 era ships using the 1/1200th components and have already come up with a number of ideas for some ships. I like the idea of a KGV shortened to exclude the twin 14" turret so that it is armed with two quad 14" turrets - one at either end. I am thinking along similar lines for the other ships - shrinking them in respect of length and perhaps trading twin turrets for triples.

The casting idea involves a lot more work to get off the ground and is probably a longer term project although if it works then it will have enormous potential.

I need to get my ACW mojo back to push on with the last models as well as the ton of unpainted metal I now have!

In my case all a list does is to prick my conscience and so any attempt at following the same is usually doomed to failure!

All the best,

DC