Monday 24 October 2011

Grand Designs and Lofty Ambitions....Part 3



Striding manfully into battle - the H.G. Wells way

I have mentioned about the experiments I am undertaking in developing a suitable painting technique for replicating the classic 'old toy soldier' look for my potential 54mm project. As these are going to be plastic obviously they will need slightly more care and preparation than metal types. I am looking at this as being similar to working with 20mm plastic figures only on a larger scale and so the plan looks something like this:

  • Wash the figures in warm soapy water, rinse and leave to air dry
  • Trim any flash and lightly score the underside of the base with some sandpaper (it provides a better 'key' for the adhesive).
  • Glue the figure to the appropriate base (1" by 2" for these particular figures).
  • Coat the figure with neat PVA. I am using full strength glue for sealant purposes as it has the effect of 'softening' the detail - which is important for the painting technique as most old style toy soldiers were light on physical detail.
  • Spray undercoat with an acrylic car primer spray
  • Paint in flat colours - no shading or highlights
  • Gloss varnish
  • Gloss varnish - a second coat, just to be sure....
The only concession I intend making to anything vaguely approaching 'modern' painting techniques is to flock the bases and the only reason I shall be doing this is because I want them to match my Hexon terrain tiles.

Assuming that this works out OK (and at this stage I am optimistic it will do) then I shall then be able to consider the next stage - what exactly I plan to do with the kernel of this idea....;-)

4 comments:

Corporal_Trim said...

Another interesting project, David ! I take it you have ruled out the 42mm then.

Regarding the PVA coating, there's a good alternative in the US, Rust-Oleum Plastic Primer Spray. I don't know if this is sold in the UK or if there's an equivalent. No question it expedites the sealing step.

You mentioned your painting speed in one of the associated posts. Not to worry, yes the big figures take more paint but you can work faster if you're aiming for the toy soldier look.

Good luck !
Steve

David Crook said...

Hi Steve,

the whole project really hangs or falls on the question of the painting technique - if I can get this right then the whole idea is feasible.

In a sense I rate this almost as a background project because assuming it does kick off then it is very much a long term idea.

I have heard of the product you mention but am unsure of its availability over here - or even if there is a local equivalent. I will certainly look out for the same though.

Cost is the driver here - 42mm metal figures are not cheap (even Irregular Miniatures)whereas 54 plastic are - 'nuff said!

My painting speed is legendary (and for all the wrong reasons!)so the 'old toy soldier' look would give me a fighting chance of getting things finished!

All the best,

DC

Corporal_Trim said...

David,

Agreed on the cost of 40/42mm. However, there's some very tasty stuff at Spencer-Smith, the Shiny Toy Soldier range. ;-) If I lived in the UK, I'd indulge myself anyway.

What can make 40/42mm practical is the home casting aspect of it. In your case, the Schildkroet 1900-era Prussians would work for a Little wars project but that would only take care of half of it.

Regards,
Steve

David Crook said...

Hi Steve,

I have never considered home cast kit before but I am quite fond of the Deutsche Homage range that Irregular produce. The Spencer Smith STS range is lovely but sadly both ranges are out of budget.

Funnily enough I am more confident working with plastic rather than metal.

All the best,

DC