Sunday 2 October 2011

Lofty Aspirations...Part 3

It has been a trying and exhausting day. No problems at Ikea - although due to computer glitch they overcharged us by £32 - and so we were homeward bound relatively early on. But the roads, oh the roads!

Not far from where I live on the A13 is a huge series of roundabouts at a place called Sadlers Farm. The whole complex is currently being redesigned and a more obnoxious set of roadworks would be hard to find. It was Ok on the outward journey but was showing early signs of clogging up on the inward leg so I made a mental note to avoid it on the way home. Now there is back road that comes out the right side of the roadworks and I thought we would take that.

BAD MISTAKE!!!

We got right to the very end of the said back road with the roadworks and our road home in sight only to have the road closed off and the traffic diverted back to the A127 - in the wrong direction! To cut a long story short the traffic was by now completely snarled up to hell and back and so the journey from, in effect, Basildon to my house (which normally takes 10 to 15 minutes) took an incredible 1 hour and 45 minutes! Thank the maker I had the car's air con fixed!

The rest of the day was spent making 43 trips up into the loft with three quarters of my collection. The book cases have been assembled and mostly populated and so the whole thing is coming together very nicely. I am really pleased to have some space on the bookshelves (naturally these will have to filled!) as I am aware of a few holes in the collection. I now ache in places I had forgotten I had....;-)

All this on the hottest October 2nd since 1895!

I need a cold beer or rather, several cold beers....;-)

2 comments:

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

David,

Sorry to hear about your terrible journey ... but at least you are well on the way to completing your 'man cave'.

All the best,

Bob

David Crook said...

Hi Bob,

That is the sole consolation!

All the best,

DC