Tuesday 3 October 2023

Enduring a Prolonged Tantalean Punishment


Ancient Greece? It’s taking the Myth….

So here we are at the beginning of October and I can honestly say that the last three months have flown by. Work has been very busy and the domestic round has been equal to this meaning that my hobby time has been less than I would like and even then not usually when I would like it! As is my usual modus operandi when faced with a lack of time I tend to withdraw into planning mode - and the last few months have been no exception.

The two big projects that have taken up a lot of my time recently are of course Eric’s WW2 collection and the humongous pile of boardgames I purchased to sell on. The latter went extremely well - there are a few items left but suffice it to say the disposal of the main bulk was both speedily and profitably dealt with - and in the short term has enabled me to lay in some supplies for future projects. The projects are of course the Xenos Rampant/Space Hulk idea, Aliens (I came very close to changing my mind about Aliens but have recovered from the rather rash ‘wobble’ of intent!) and the Commandoes/Market Garden. Market Garden would of course be using Eric’s stuff but to be honest, in the cold light of day the collection would hopefully have been sold on before I get around to fighting it! The Commandoes are a different issue as my idea around these has shifted slightly - for reasons that I will outline later in the week. I will not go into details but suffice it to say my Commnado fix will be at more skirmishy level.

I am waiting on an email from Warbases in respect of my 60 triremes so once they arrive I fully intend pushing them front and centre and ‘blitzing’ them in one fell swoop. No harm in being optimistic!

Developing the Portable Ironclads Wargame has stalled slightly but the main bulk of it has been drafted and when certain things have come to pass I shall punch on and finish it. As usual there are some models to be built - I still have around half a dozen partially assembled - to round out the ACW collection, including some terrain. I also need to square grid something for them to fight over!

I have everything I need for the 1943/44 Over the Reich “Mustangs” project other than decals and time to paint the 1:300th models so my birthday present of a copy of The Mighty Eighth was most welcome.

Similarly I also have everything I need for the 1914 ‘Not quite Madasahatta’ naval campaign in the shape of some 1:2400th Tumbling Dice loveliness - the model of S.M.S Scharnhorst is magnificent, as is H.M.S. Swiftsure and yes, I have both of their respective sister ships as well!

There is plenty to be getting on with and thanks to the great boardgame sell off I had a reasonable warchest to flesh out and realise some of more outlandish ideas such as….

….Aeronautica Imperialis and Adeptus Titanicus - I will leave that there for now.

I cannot complain about my project palette at all as there is plenty for me to do BUT - there is always a but - getting the time to realise them has proven to be really tricky.

It is the very definition of a Tantalean Punishment….

10 comments:

El Grego said...

So many projects, so little time - I understand this perfectly!

The triremes, ironclads, and Mustangs sound to be the most interesting but all of it is!

Steve J. said...

I feel your 'pain' too, as lots of real life things keep popping up to impact on the only plan I currently have, which is to get scenery and figures painted for a show game on 15th October! After that I feel so down time required to re-charge the batteries and maybe actually get some gaming in, after all the painting and planning...

Simon said...

I would ease back if I were you and concentrate on one project. Finish that and move on to the next.

Ray Rousell said...

Sounds like you've been a busy boy, Dave!

David Crook said...

Hello there El Grego,

It is a little like a buffet except that I tend to only work on one thing at a time rather than trying to eat everything at once. Inevitably it will be the ironclads when I am able to get some time in. The rest is very much planning and stockpiling.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Steve J,

I must admit that I felt quite ‘flat’ after the book was published and everything seemed to take twice as long to do. Now I am ready to ‘rock and roll’ but a lack of time is a real drag on production!

Good luck with your show on the 15th - is it SELWG?

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Simon,

The menu is long and varied but I will only be eating one thing at a time. Things have gotten a little out of synch in that I have only been able to plan and acquire stuff rather than working on it but once things with work have eased a little I should be able to get back to the ironclads which have first priority - especially the supporting book!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hello Raymondo,

I only wish that was the case - I seem to spend more time organising things than actually doing anything with them!

Are the Rejects at SELWG or are you Partizaning this weekend?

All the best,

DC

Aly Morrison said...

Flutter flutter David…🦋🦋🦋
And why not… I tend to look at it as front loading for retirement…

In fact I will be going on another fron loading expedition at Partizan this weekend 😂

All the best. Aly

David Crook said...

Hello there Aly,

‘Front Loading for Retirement….’ I can relate to that! Seriously though, when I can get some meaningful time in the ironclads will of course be front and centre - especially as the work on Developing the Portable Ironclads Wargame is well advanced.

It never hurts to have some variety though and I have been fortunate in that I have been able to get the requisite raw material in to be able to indulge the Butterfly.

I really must make the effort to get some of the further flung shows - I hope you are going to Partizan loaded for bear so to speak!

All the best,

DC